Monday, September 26, 2011

What to do?

We have been racking our brains, and our bank account, to try and figure out what extra-curriculars to enrol our kids in this year. It's basically driving me nuts. (Not a far trip). I want my kids to be involved in stuff, but I don't want them to be over scheduled. Kids need time to just be kids too. But I strongly believe that team-sports, or music, or some sort of extra-curricular teaches them discipline, responsibility, accountability, and how to be a team-player. Plus the physical benefits. It's all around good.

We checked into swimming because I am mandatory on that one. Everyone should know how to swim. I could not find a time where all 3 of my kids could take a lesson at the same time. I didn't want to be driving back and forth to the pool 3 times a week and have to spend my time there entertaining two children while the other one has a lesson. Not fun. But if we could all be in the pool at the same time...great fun. So no luck on that one until January. Next.

I debated putting Lucy in dance classes but you have to sign up for a whole year. What if she doesn't like it. Then I got this brain wave...singing lessons! Of course! What does my daughter do more than anything? Sing. Her life is a musical...and she'll tell you that. So we planned to sign her up...and I still do. But the oh-so-awesome singing teacher in our ward and who is only a few blocks away just received some terrible family news. So we're waiting on that one.

And Max-o? He loves everything. For a few days. I noticed there was a Martial Arts place close to our house so we decided to check it out. Contacted them, they said to come in for 2 free lessons to see where he's at and we can go from there. Sounds great. We show up, it's just him and the instructor (mr. mcneil), and he LOVES IT! Booyah. Knew it.



He's pumped about the four laws of focus, and his magic words (I love hearing him call me ma'am...just sayin'). He's learning blocks and punches and kicks and how to do push-ups and jumping jacks. We keep asking the instructors for the schedule and the cost and they keep telling us they'll give us that info in our pamphlet on day 3.

Day 3 - booklet. Cost? Yowza! I had no idea Martial Arts was so expensive. Seriously. We're talking comparable with Hockey. So now the debate is on. Do we do it? Or don't we? I mean, we can make it work...but it's a lot of money. He's really good at it. But he always lasts a few days at something and then gets tired of it. "I don't want to go today. I want to stay home and play." Typical kid. And I hate having to say, "We spent a lot of money on this mister, so you're going." Because he doesn't need to worry about that. We've had a lot of talks about making a commitment and that if the coach is going to show up every day, then he should show up too.

That's the other thing. It's Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays work great, because he doesn't have school those days, so I'm not worried about him being too tuckered out...but Lucy does. And the bus doesn't drop her off until about 4:05...which means I have to pick her up from school two days a week. Not terrible, but it is a pain. That's only for 6-10 weeks while he's in the little ninjas program. Then they think he'll be good enough to move up to the Junior program which is at 4:45pm.

So the debate is on. We have to decide before tomorrow's class. Still don't know what to do.

In an effort to help us decide, we've been checking out other options. We went to the climbing gym the other night to check out costs there and options. The kids had a great time climbing and I know it's something Tyler and I would enjoy as well. An extra-curricular we could do as a family. It's hard to decide. It's better priced, but what do you do with an 18-month-old while everyone else is trying to climb? Especially an 18-month-old that loves to climb? I'd like to do it, but it's still in 'we'll see' mode.







So that's been our life lately. Oh, and the kid's had an Open House at their school last week. We got to go and check out their classrooms and the work they've done so far. It was so fabulous. I especially enjoyed seeing Lucy's classroom. She's there 5 days a week now, all day. I feel like I get a few hours every evening and weekends and that's it (well, that's exactly what I get). But now that I've seen everything, when she talks to me about it, I get it. I know what she's talking about.

She came home from school the other day wearing her indoor shoes because she said her outdoor ones were missing when she went to catch the bus. Nice. Fortunately they were back in their spot on Open House night. That was a relief. How annoying is it to buy your kid new shoes for school and have them go missing within the first two weeks?! I'll tell you. Very annoying.

She showed us her hook. Her desk. And her work so far.

The kid's got to trace a life-sized version of themselves on paper and decorate it. Those paper people were sitting at the desks when we got there for the tour. Lucy was very proud.
All the kids had to sign a poster saying they would keep the classroom rules.

And Max got to be the official Kindergarten Tour Guide (for us).

We saw where he sits.

Where he plays. The book corner.

And his school bus that he painted. (I'm not sure why his name is backwards...we called him "Xam" for the rest of the evening).
And we got to end outside on the playground. It was a great evening. Both teachers said how great our kids are doing.

Lucy said on Sunday, "I can't wait until Monday! Then I can chase the boys again!" Really? Grade One?! She tells me she's not in love with them (apparently Jessica is), but that they are SOOO funny. Then she says, "I need to wear comfy clothes so it's easier for me to chase." Oy vey! That's all I can say. Oy vey!

No comments: