Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Max's JK Orientation

Oh JK. I am an emotional mom over you. Four years old seems SO young to be starting school. Except that all the four-year-olds I met today seemed way to excited to start school to stay home another year. Including Max.

Max BOUNDED out of his bed this morning and gave Lucy a GIANT hug in the hallway and said, "I'm SO excited!" Can't deny that. Today was JK Orientation. Max and I got to go to the school for an hour and meet the teacher and check out the classroom.

He wasn't a stitch nervous. He walked in, said hello, took care of his indoor shoes and backpack, and got settled in making his school bus. They had to cut them out and glue wheels on them. It says, "Hooray, today is my first day of JK!" Cute. And his teacher is the stereotypical Kindergarten teacher. Soft spoken and sweet. Perfect. The type who probably has a hard time switching to talking to adults because she is always using her kindergarten voice.

Then Max got to choose some toys to play with while I filled out paperwork. They read a story on the carpet with the teacher, and then took pictures in the reading corner. They drew a picture of themselves going to school too.

Then, we finished with a tour of the school. Lucy's classroom is right across the hall from Max. Hooray! She was heading back to her class from the bathroom as Max was lining up for his tour so she paused and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. Right across the hall!

Max got to see the boys bathroom and of course chose to use it. Urinals are way to exciting to pass up. They went to the gym and had a race across to the other side and back. A little girl on the tour jumped the gun and started early and I could see the fierce determination on Max's face to try and beat her anyway. Beaten by a girl of all things!

Then we met the secretary and the principal and headed outside to check out the playground and learn some safety rules for playing outside.

He had a blast! I'm nervous to send my little guy on the bus and have him dropped off where I can't see him and assume that he's ok all day until he gets off the bus at the end of the day.

Why do little kids have to grow up so fast?

But like I said, he loved it. So that helps. At least I'm not forcing him to go. Now he has to wait all the way until Monday for his first FULL day of school. I wonder if he'll fall asleep on the bus-ride home?


Oh, and the verdict is in on Lucy's first day yesterday...it was GREAT!

She's already made two friends, one who said, "If you ruin this shirt, my mom will go wacko!" Haha. So Lucy responded and said, "If you ruin THIS shirt, I'LL go wacko!"

Then another girl said, "I'm allergic to nuts." Lucy responded, "Then you're allergic to me!" Grade One Lucy is pretty funny!

No comments: