Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Taming of the Shrub



Monday night. A cherished time. Time for families to get together and spend some quality time together. Time for fun and learning and sweetness. Or, at our house, time to break out the new tools and tame the backyard before fall.

Our shrubs were getting a little over-zealous and started taking over the backyard, so it was time to take back what was ours. Plus it was garbage day the next day, so the timing was pretty much perfect. Bring on the new hedge-trimmer!

The kids had a blast using the little clippers to clip back little branches, and then take the piles of branches and create beautiful 'shelters' out of them. We felt a few drops of water here and there, so Lucy insisted that the shelters were very practical and necessary.

And who doesn't love playing in a big pile of leaves and twigs?

It was fun to spend the evening outside. We even discovered a soccer ball hiding in our bushes. Score!

My next task is to figure out what types of bushes I have back there so I know what to do with them. They look good, but now what?

It's coming time for fall planting, and I can't decide what I want to do. I want flowers, but I don't know which ones. Actually, I do. I want petunias. Lots of them. I love the way they look and I love the way they smell. But I'm not much of a green thumb, so I'm worried I'll butcher them. There's a house down our street that has TONS of them and I love smelling them every time we walk to the bus stop or to the park. Love it! I'll try my hand at petunias in the spring I guess.

1 comment:

Dad said...

You didn't get a picture of me standing on top of the fence to actually do the trimming. Besides the adorable little kids that was the coolest part!