Friday, September 9, 2011

Drama Drama Drama

So the first day of school has been on my mind since we made the decision to move to Kingston. Lucy is a nervous-nelly most of the time and takes a bit to warm up to people. She is SUPER sweet and loves everyone, but just doesn't know what to say until she's good and comfortable. She did so well in Kindergarten and made great friends there, so I was sad to pull her away and have her start all over...again.

First day of grade one: "My day was GREAT! I made two new friends. You know I'm already friends with Tristan (boy from her primary class...thank goodness!) and now I have two more!"

Phew! Hooray! And Hallelujah! It's going to be a good year.

So then she comes home on day two and tells me that one of her new friends has now informed her that she doesn't want to be her friend anymore. She already has too many friends and just doesn't think it'll work. Maybe we can play on Friday.

So my outside voice says, 'Oh really? Hmmm.' While my inside voice goes: "What the heck?! Who is this kid? Too many friends?! Good Riddance, she doesn't know what kind of friend she's losing then! My poor girl! Why do friend issues have to start SO early! I want her to be at home with me where she can have a million hugs and not worry about this stuff."

Fortunately, my inside voice is not let out.

But still. Who are these kids? Do they not have parents who are teaching them to be kind and include EVERYONE? I want my kids to be loved. I don't want heartache for them.

Of course, she seemed totally fine. I suggested that she tell her 'friend' that they could figure it out. And then I told her she can always play with Tristan.

The next day she tells me that this 'friend' and two other girls who ride the same bus as her always sit together, and she can't sit with them, because you can only fit 3 in a seat. So I suggest that she tell them to sit 2 and 2 across the aisle so all 4 can be together. She missed the bus yesterday morning, so I had to drive her to school. When I dropped her off she walked across the yard with her GIANT backpack on and just looked around. I felt my heart breaking. Please find someone to play with! Someone come and find her! If she had been on the bus she would have been with people already, instead of being the one who shows up after the fact and has to join in. (Do I have issues?)

When she got home from school she told me that she had made the suggestion to her friends about 2 and 2 on the bus, and they thought it was great, and that's what they did. What an innovative mother I am. Genius! Haha.

Today we were on time for the bus.

My sister, who has a daughter who has already experienced Grade 1, 2, and 3 reassures me that in Grade one, they just mean they don't know how to play with that many kids at once, and the next day it will be different. Everyone is still nice in grade one. In grade 2 and 3 they get petty and vicious. And when they say they don't want to be their friend, they mean it.

Great. So I have one more year to keep my heart together.

Oh Girls!

Fortunately, over recess they found a butterfly with a broken wing and were able to nurture their friendship as they nurtured the butterfly. They picked some leaves and grass and made a nest for it, so it could be safe and now they are 'best friends'. The butterfly was gone on the second recess, which they found disappointing but I reassured her it just meant they did a good job taking care of it, because it was able to get better and fly away. Lucy will forge great friendships over nest making.

Oh, and debating over this outfit and all it's accessories is what made us miss the bus yesterday. My indecisive perfectionist. It's a bad combo. I'm not looking forward to teenage years. But she is cute, I'll give her that.


She had to fill out a "getting to know you" survey for school. It was so sweet. I especially love that her favourite singer/band is her Aunt Janeen. I agree!


And the boys and I? Well, we play games incessantly because Max doesn't have his partner anymore. All day, every day. Oy vey. It's a miracle I've even gotten laundry done, let alone anything else. It's been rainy, so we've been confined to the indoors. But today we went to the Splash Park because it was beautiful. Lame Splash Park turns off the water on September 5th though. Argh. So we played on the parks and in the sand pit instead. My kid's are loving sand. Seriously, they played there for three hours today. Three! Hours!

So we buried them alive so they could live there forever.


You can't see it, but they're holding hands under there. At first we did it so Logan would stay still long enough for us to bury him, but then he wouldn't let Max's hand go. Max had a hard time getting out because of Logan's death grip.

Now the weekend is upon us and I will cherish my Saturday of not having to get up and get kids ready for school, and we can all stay home and be together. Except that Tyler is currently at Hunter Education class tonight and all day tomorrow. Starting at 8am, which calls for a 7:30 (or earlier if he decides to shower - although he assures me that no one else in the class does...or wears deodorant) wake up call. Next weekend I guess. Maybe I'll make waffles.

No comments: