Tuesday, September 13, 2011

No Turning Back

Today was Max's first full day of school...and his first day on the bus!

When Lucy got on the bus for the first time, she lined up so sweetly. After ever step forward, she would turn around and wave. She waved getting on the bus. She waved after she told the bus driver her name. She waved from her seat....until the bus drove away.

I had plenty of opportunities for pictures.

On Max's first day I got these two pictures:


running for the bus


about to get on.

He didn't turn around. He didn't wave. He didn't look back. Can we say, 'excited?' I think so.

When he got off the bus at the end of the day I expected the same boundless energy. He climbed off slowly with a mumbled 'hi'. I asked him if he was tired and he said yes. Now he's got a week off until the next day of school. Tonight has been very emotional and I imagine the same for tomorrow. School is going to take a lot out of this boy!

Lucy tells me that she had a sad day because Max didn't have a friend to play with at the first recess and she was worried for him. She told her friends that she couldn't play with them because her brother needed a friend. What a good sister. I like that they have buddies. I guess he had a friend at the second recess so all was restored to it's proper order.

I had been reviewing Max's routine with him before he got on the bus to make sure he remembered it. Get off the bus, take off your backpack and play for a bit. When the bell rings you need to line up with your class. And if you need to go potty you need to tell your teacher. But don't wait till it's too late. And you get two times to eat, so you don't have to finish all your food at once. And remember everything you do so you can tell me all about it!

Before he gets on the bus I say, "Do you remember what to do when you get off the bus?"

Max: "Yes! Tell you everything!"

Haha. Well, that part is important too.

No comments: