Sunday, June 23, 2013

NFLD - 10 years of wedded bliss

In ten years, Tyler and I have never taken a trip together, just the two of us.  For our 6th anniversary, we stayed in a hotel in Calgary for one night while Grandma and Papa watched Lucy and Max for the night.  And when we made the move to Kingston, we flew out here for 2 days to house hunt...but that's it.  So when Tyler proposed that I join him on his conference trip to Newfoundland and we ask his mom to watch our kids, I was seriously stoked.  And not paranoid or stressed like I usually am.  I guess that tells me my kids are growing up enough to be entrusted to someone else's care...especially the very capable hands of grandma.  Even though our anniversary isn't until the end of August, this is a big deal, so we're counting it towards 10 years.

So after being home for one day from our Washington trip (just enough time to do laundry), we were on an airplane headed to the East Coast.


The view from my seat.  Figured Max would be excited to see we were on a prop plane rather than a jet.  It's much louder, but I didn't suffer from the same motion sickness I usually get on landing.  



The very edge of Canada!


Did you know that flying without kids is actually kind of relaxing and even a bit fun?  I didn't.  Haven't had much experience flying without kids.  But I was definitely sympathetic for the kids and their parents sitting behind us.  

We arrived on a Sunday evening.  The view from our hotel is amazing.  It was fun to watch the c-cans being loaded in the harbour.  We headed out for a bite to eat right away and had the MOST amazing 3 course meal at Blue on the Water.  Shrimp and Caesar salad to start (seriously, the best shrimp I've ever had), buttered salmon over a potato, carrot, and proscuitto hash for dinner, and amazing carrot cake for dessert.

Because we're here on a conference, our hotel is paid for and Tyler gets a daily food allowance.  He made the decision to have us share meals so that all our food would be covered, or mostly, without it looking skeptical that there are two entrees on a bill.  I was skeptical at first because 'Heather doesn't share food!'  but so far it's working out great.  I can go for appetizers, salads, entrees, and dessert every day.  Plus, i rarely finish a meal anyway.

We spent the evening walking around downtown and seeing what's there.  Tyler has meetings tomorrow morning, so I have plans to come back downtown to do some souvenir shopping for my littles.



No comments: