Friday, June 28, 2013

Friday - East Coast Trail and a B&B Adventure

After we were finished at Ferryland, we drove about 20 minutes back towards St. John's to a place called LeMache - to walk some of the East Coast Trail.

It was a beautiful afternoon walk.  It's called a trail, but really it was mostly mud or rocks.  But super cool.

There was a suspension bridge at one point and just past that some rock stairs.  We decided to turn around at that point, because it was already 4:30 and we still had to walk back to the car and find our B&B.  We had no cell phone service all day, so that was not an easy task, but we managed.







We stayed at a B&B in Witless Bay called Elaine's.  It was cozy.  They had a nice fire going in the family room, and our bedroom was nice.  Tyler and I both conquered that we're probably NOT B&B people.  We're super friendly, but we also like our privacy.  After playing a few rounds of Spite and Mallace by the fire, we decided we better find something to eat for dinner.


Elaine informed us that the only restaurant in town was the Captain's Table (touting the worlds best Fish and Chips), but that you usually need a reservation.  Not exactly thrilling news when there are no other options in town.  We headed to the restaurant hoping they'd seat us.

We waited.  And waited.  And waited, for someone to even TALK to us.  Finally, a server (mostly annoyed) came and told us they would be unable to seat us.  Along with the other couple who was waiting.  I guess when you're the only restaurant in town, you don't have to work to hard on customer satisfaction.  We quickly discovered that our partners in waiting were also staying at Elaine's B&B and they had heard there was a little diner down the road attached to a gas station that we could try.

So we headed that way in hopes of food.  I saw a mini-mart along the way and said, "If nothing more, we could just get some simple groceries, like fruit and bread."

We found the diner and placed our order and paid in the gas station.  While our new friends were placing their order they discovered that the wait was going to be at least 45 minutes before they could even start COOKING our food.  We only ordered club house sandwiches...since we had already paid and didn't want to wait that long, we headed back to the gas station counter for a refund.

Our friends mentioned there was ONE more place that served food...so we followed.  Hungry and hopeful.  We pulled in to none other than Paddy's Convenience store.  For reals?!  My morning muffin was not something I wanted to repeat.  Apparently they cooked hot food there too, and with no other options, we sat down.

Tyler and I shared some fried chicken strips and fries.  They came relatively quickly.  Not that tasty.  As I cut into my second strip I noticed it was mostly raw inside. My appetite was effectively gone.

Now I sit in my B&B room.  It's noisy downstairs.  It's hot in here.  My belly is turning and I can't sleep.  Groceries would probably have been a much better choice.  Or going to bed hungry.  I think I may pay for this adventure.

No comments: