Sunday, November 20, 2011

Reverence

Sunday was another busy but fun day. It was our first full day with Dad. Max had to give a talk in primary, Tyler had early morning meetings, and I had choir practice after church. Busy.

I was also pulled out of primary at one point to go and meet with the Branch President. (This sounds like going to the principles office). I was extended a new calling. To clarify, an additional calling, because when I told Lucy I was getting a new calling she was really disappointed...I'm still her primary teacher, and the primary pianist.

I am now a ward organist. Crazy. I've never played organ. Well, I had a few lessons when I was in Grade 10 because my seminary teacher was really good at the organ and somehow it was decided that she would teach me in between seminary and school. I'm not sure who's idea it was. I ended up learning how to play Come Follow Me...and that's it. I blame it on the attention span of someone in grade 10.

So now, I am a ward organist. My branch president reassured me that they wouldn't ask me to play right away and that maybe in the new year I could give it a try, but I could start practicing and familiarizing myself with the organ. Sure! The ward music chair person asked me to play this Sunday. Sigh. So I went and practiced before choir practice for a bit and completely psyched myself out. I know nothing about the organ. Fortunately, the current ward organist came and showed me the preset stops. Wow...that sounds way better!

So I have been stressing and practicing all day. Now hopefully I will get the songs for Sunday soon enough that I can find time to practice on the organ this week before I show up. I feel this is a lot of pressure.

Max's talk, on the other hand, was great. We didn't get as much time to practice it as I would have liked, so I had to whisper it in his ear...but he did write it and he repeated it well:

Reverence is love and respect for God.

We have learned a lot in primary about how to show reverence at church. We can be reverent in other places too. We can have reverence for God even when we're not at church by showing respect for His creations.

We can be kind to animals

We can help keep the earth clean.

We can thank Heavenly Father for the things we enjoy in nature.

I am thankful for trees, and mountains, and grass, and rivers, and oceans.

I am thankful for my body too. Heavenly Father created it. Heavenly Father also created your bodies.

When I treat others with kindness, I am showing reverence and respect for God.

I know that when I am reverent I show love and respect for God.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: