Thursday, November 24, 2011

Emergency Brake

Lucy is growing up way too fast. She's gone at school all day, and I feel like we hardly see her. And it's getting to the point where I'm getting used to NOT having her here, rather than the other way around. It's like trying to figure out being a mom of 3-kids all over again every weekend. And I don't like it.

Yesterday she was complaining that her lips hurt and Tyler and I told her they were chapped. She said she licks them all the time, and we told her that was the problem. You can't lick them. Then they dry out. I'm sure this is counterintuitive to a 6-year-old. Tyler put some cream on her face and sent her to bed (it was bedtime by the way). Then he asked if I had any lip-stuff she could use. Here's where the big girl came in.

"Daddy, all my friends have their own lip stuff. They keep it in their pockets. I would really like some too. I know you can get it a Shopper's Drug Mart and it's not very expensive."

He came out of her room and sighed. It felt too soon to be having this conversation.

But today, Tyler came home with girlie, fruity lip balm from Shopper's Drug Mart. That girl has got her dad wrapped! It was a sweet surprise.

Because Max has been sick we haven't been making our usual trips to the park this week. I think Lucy has missed playing with her friends after school...even though she plays with them all day at school. So today, a few of them asked if she could have a snow-ball fight outside. We said sure.

It started out with a handful of kids. And the numbers slowly petered down. They were playing in front of our house, so Lucy was one of the last to go home. At about 5:00 I went to call her in because it was getting dark and dinner was almost ready (it's so sad that it's dark by 5:00). When I opened the door it was just her and one boy left. He's in Grade 5. They were giggling and laughing together and throwing snowballs at each other. Wait a minute? What's happening here? Was this a date?!
Let's just slow down here a minute. Things are moving WAY. TOO. FAST.

I blame Tyler...he introduces lipbalm and now she's dating.

No comments: