Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beam Me Up - I Wish

News Flash: we're all still sick.

Max seemed to be a bit perkier yesterday, although sleeping in till 10am will probably do that for you. Logan's still down. He got up at 9am and had a bottle with me. We sat in the big soaker tub for the bottle because the day before he drank it and the puked it all over my bed, and I just didn't feel like washing all the bedding again. So we sat in the tub just in case. He was fine. We were on and off all morning, but seemed to be doing a bit better so I was hopeful. So we got busy cleaning and disinfecting the house, hoping that we could rid ourselves of this. I cleaned bathrooms, doorknobs, light-switches, countertops, blankets, bedding, pillows...pretty much everything I could think of.

Logan took a few minutes to fall asleep for his nap, so I thought that was a good sign too...at least he's not passing out in a moments notice! Just as he fell asleep I got a call from Lucy's school telling me that she's sick and I need to come and get her. Now what do I do? Logan is asleep with the flu, Max is watching Sonic on the iPad, and Tyler's at work with no vehicle. So I throw on my shoes and run next door hoping my neighbour is home. "Hey, can you come and sit with my sick boys while I run to the school to get Lucy who is now sick? Logan's sleeping so you just have to listen for him on the baby monitor." I have great neighbours. He was happy to help.

So I hop in the car and run to get Lucy and hope all goes well at home. Tyler texts and says I might as well pick him up from work too since I will now be dealing with 3 sick kids. So we do that too. Poor Lucy. I know it's awful to feel sick AT school. She was just a bump on a chair in the office. SUPER headache and fever. We hop her up with meds right away. We get home and Logan is awake and Miles is trying to calm him. Max has instructed him that logan has a bottle when he wakes up so he's attempting to give him one. Logan is totally out of sorts, probably because he wasn't expecting our neighbour Miles to be the one walking into his bedroom. I discover after that some friends stopped by to drop off some popcorn we had ordered from their boys for cubs and I imagine the commotion of the door and all woke Logan up. So Tyler takes to dealing with getting Lucy settled and I try to get Logan to go back to sleep. He did, for about 40 minutes.

The evening was on and off and we decided to have our chilli as a picnic dinner while watching a movie. It was nice. Especially since I started feeling under the weather too. A little dizzy and flushed cheeks. Today, I still have bouts of dizziness, so I'm wondering if I have an ear thing going on. My sinuses were hurting a bit last week, but nothing came of it. I have a bit of an ache in my chest, but again, not much to speak of. As I was attempting to work out today I realized that I must not be 100% because I just couldn't do it. At one point, the instructor says she wants you to feel like your gargling your heart when you do the cardio...I felt like I was gargling my stomach, so I decided to stop. Even sitting here typing I feel a bit spiny.

Sickness bugs me. I'm getting through it, and when I look back, it doesn't seem as bad as when I'm in the moment. So then I get frustrated with my impatience when my hindsight is more clear. I wish we had technology like they do in Star Trek where you feel sick and you take a trip to sick-bay and they inject with something into your neck with a cool 'chhhh" sound and then you're better. That would be my number one Star Trek techie wish. Uh oh, my inner geek is showing. Actually, I have a top 3 techie-wishlist.

#1 - the 'medical injector 'chhhh' thing
#2 - the 'anything you can imagine you might want to eat, just ask the computer and it will replicate it for you instantly' thing (although, they obviously have some sort of solution for gluttony aka, not gaining 1000 pounds with this invention, because everyone always wears those one piece jumpsuits and there's not a chubby person in sight.)
#3 - the teleporter, because come on...instant travel would be awesome.

There you have it. My inner-geek. Actually, I will have it be known that the reason I know about these things is because I grew up watching Star Trek. My Dad has an inner-geek and outer-geek that are pretty much the same person. And that person loves Star Trek. The original series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager...yup, I've seen pretty much all of it. And all the movies.

Back to the sickies. Max is at school this afternoon because he is LITERALLY bouncing off the walls. As sweet as it is to see him with his energy back, when other people are still sick, it's less than fun to have someone who just can't help bouncing everywhere they go around you. He will pause for about 15 seconds exactly when I ask him to be aware of his sick siblings, and then it's gone and the bouncing is back. I looked up the meaning of his name the other day...did you know it means "Spring"? Huh.

Lucy's resting, as she should be. She tries to be positive and up-beat and just take it in stride, and I appreciate that. She even acknowledges that she may begin throwing up at some point, since both of her brothers have...but I think we're past that point with her now. Sweet girl.

Should I add to this that I'm stressed that all these days of just trying to get better is stressing me out since Christmas shopping is getting more and more delayed. It is. I have to plan for a Christmas morning at our house here in Kingston for the 17th, because we just can't bring ALL the gifts on the airplane with us...especially the bulkier stuff. Then we have Christmas in Calgary...so what stuff to bring...and still leave room for presents from other people to bring back home again. I wonder if any of us will be able to bring clothes on our trip?

Boy, a tele-porter is looking more and more appealing.

No comments: