Saturday, March 24, 2012

Return of the Jedi

Today is the day I've been anticipating for weeks now. In fact, as I sat trying to determine what kind of cupcakes to make for Logan for his 2nd birthday (February 18th), I got this brilliant idea for Max's 5th birthday party. The idea launched from some William Sonoma Star Wars Cupcake Stencils that I saw online. And it went crazy from there.

I have been working, and planning, and creating this birthday party, all under the cover of secrecy...usually during Logan's afternoon nap while the kids were at school. We determined that Max could invite 4 friends (plus him =5 and since he's 5 that's fair). Invitations were sent (after a visit to the CodyParty store for all the Star Wars party loot you could imagine. RSVP's were gathered, planning ensued. And today was the day.

The party didn't start until 3:30 (so Logan could get a good nap in before) and seriously, it was killing me to have to wait that long. Even though I still had so much to do.

Guests arrived. We had one late comer, so I had to improvise a few activities on the fly while we waited. Duck duck goose became Jedi/Jedi/Sith. And we also played a few rounds of Red-Rover, calling our friends to the Dark Side. Fortunately our last guest arrived, because that game wasn't going very well.

The kids were greeted at the front door by Yoda - "Greetings Padawans. To Jedi Training We Welcome You." And the party began.

They each got to don their own Jedi cloak. And then it was up to the table for each of them to create their own droid (because Jedi's are good at that). They coloured R2D2 pictures, cut them out and glued them onto paper bags, which would later become their loot bags. It was a nice quiet way to start the party, and one of the only quiet moments for 2 1/2 hours.



Next came blaster practice. They each got six shots to try and get as many Villains as possible. Targets included: Darth Maul, Emperor Palpatine, a Storm Trooper, General Grievous, Boba Fett, and Jaba the Hutt. They did awesome.



Next was Light Saber accuracy. They each had a foam sword that they used to try and keep a balloon in the air. I think this was the favourite, and best executed activity. They loved it.



A battle of strength was next. Tug-of-war. They tried to resist being pulled to the dark side. Then they each got a chance to challenge someone in a strength test.




When Logan challenged dad, it was obvious that he was outmatched...so everyone else joined in to help.


Then the kids headed downstairs to watch a few minutes of Star Wars, Return of the Jedi while I got dinner on the table. Refueling at Mos Eisley. Death Star Meatballs, Light Saber Taquitos, Imperial StarShip Chips, Ewok cheese and crackers, Yoda Soda, Wookie Root Beer. Plus Cheezies, and apple slices. I couldn't think of creative names for those. Another quiet moment.


As the kids finished, they got up and practice with their lightsabers again. It was a good thing they had lightsabers in hand, because suddenly Darth Vader appeared at the party! They all got to fight him together. And then they each took turns facing Darth Vader themselves.





Max went last and was able to defeat him by chopping off his arm.




Next, they opened presents and had cake.


Oh the cake. It gave me grief. I was planning on using the Star Wars Stencils I mentioned earlier to decorate my cupcakes. They didn't work out. I was up till midnight. They did not work...except for these two which I painstakingly hand-painted.

So we went with the alternative. A lightsaber. Max appreciated it. He's such a good sport.


The kids ate cupcakes in piece and quiet again, and they were awarded Jedi medals for completing their training.

Lastly, as newly commissioned Jedi's, they had a final task...to put on their shoes to go out and destroy...

The Death Star!!

I had worked all week to create this piñata. I decided, for some unknown reason, to make it myself. I spent a number of afternoons on it. It cracked. Why was I trying to save $12.99? So I bought a soccer ball piñata and painted it. Much easier! They had an exciting time.



It was harder to bust than we thought, but eventually they prevailed. Candy for everyone!

It was a great party. Best of all, after all the friends were gone, and Max was checking out all his new toys, he announced, to no one in particular, the walls I guess, "THAT was an awesome party." And that made all my work worth it.



A few hours later, the house is cleaned up and the dishwasher is running, the kids are sleeping, and I'm thinking about the next one...Lucy's birthday is 6 weeks away. Can't wait.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Kid birthdays are so fun to do! Cute job! Isn't that funny how we think, I can totally make that easy... When it isn't saving us that much and there would be soo many hours involved in making whatever we think we are being so smart about! Hahah