Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Maxwell Smart turns 5

March 21st, 2012. Mr. Max turns 5. A much anticipated day. I have been working on plans for this day...and his birthday party this weekend for a LONG time. Trying desperately to keep it all a secret, even though I was SO excited I just wanted to tell him all about it. I love sharing excitement with Max. Because he's really good a getting excited with me. He appreciates a good plan.

After Dad's big birthday dinner last night. And after all the kids were in bed. And after the kitchen was all cleaned up. It was time to get ready. By blowing up balloons. Tyler and I sat and watched Cougar Town while blowing up upwards of 80 balloons. I had a pump. It lasted through 3 balloons. So I pulled out the 2nd pump. It lasted for 2. Lips it is. Seriously, my face was numb by the end. And my fingers were cramped.

The plan was to fill his room with balloons for him to wake up to. But I'm all paranoid-like, so I didn't want him breathing in all that latex all night. (His grandma DOES have a latex allergy, so I feel my paranoia is slightly justified). So the plan was to keep the balloons in our bathroom, and wake up early to fill his room.

Only problem? He woke up earlier. Rats! So dad went and hung with him in his bed and chatted about his birthday and stuff (under the covers) while I tried to discretely fill his room. Other problem? His room his huge! Seriously. We thought we had so many balloons! It 'kind of' filled his room. Either way, he was totally surprised.

He kept picking up balloons and asking us which one of us blew up that one, or this one. Then he would say, "Thanks Dad, for blowing up this balloon for me." (or mom, as appropriate).



Max also got to open some presents. He got a Transformers t-shirt and an Angry Birds one. He decided to wear the Angry Birds t-shirt today. He asked me to take a picture of him posing like an Angry Bird.



The kids had school, but we decided to let them play with balloons for a bit and not worry about racing to catch the bus. They can be a few minutes late on Max's birthday day, we rationalized. So we had a slow start to the day. Then, Lucy says (still wearing pjs, when school officially starts in 10 minutes and it's 8 minutes away), "I can't wait to hear them announce Max's birthday over morning announcements today! It's going to be so awesome!" What?! They do that?! Shoot! Hurry! Get Dressed! Grab some breakfast to go! They made it. Just in time. Max beamed as he heard his name. Fortunately, our last name starts with W. He was the last kid listed for the day.

Logan and I spent an awesome day together doing stuff to prep for the birthday party this weekend. Plus, we made spaghetti for dinner (Max's favourite of the moment), and picking up a treat for later.

My plan had been to meet Max at the bus-stop with his birthday present...a new bike. It was a great plan. It was going to have a beautiful green bow on top of it. Unfortunately, the bike was hiding in the shed. And when we pulled out the patio furniture in the shed last night for Tyler's dinner, he saw it. So he ended up having his present a day early. I still met him at the bus-stop and he rode his bike to the park. Then he spent all of his park time circling on his bike.



We went home for spaghetti dinner and to watch "Flushed Away" which I picked up at Walmart this week for $5. Before dinner, he skyped with Grandma Bourne and opened his gift from her. A Toys R Us gift card and really awesome wall-stickers for his bedroom. All Star Wars characters and a 3-foot tall R2D2. Seriously awesome.

I told Grandma that it was perfect because we were going to Toys R Us the next day to get him a helmet for his new bike (he has been using Logan's). Max quickly turned to me and said, "But you're paying for that right? I don't want to use my gift card on a helmet." Yes. I'll pay for the helmet.
(When I saw this picture, it broke my heart. That boy looks way to big).

We didn't finish watching our movie because Tammy, Emma, Ashley and Callum wanted to Skype too. It was good timing to turn it off, because it was time for the other great surprise of the day.

Setting up the tent in the backyard. Max and dad were planning to have a campout. The weather this week has been so awesome, that there was no reason to deny him. It was awesome.

First, we had a TimBit Tower cake. Max isn't big into many dessert treats, but he does love a donut. So this was a perfect cake. He loved it. Plus, I had picked up some sparklers at the dollar store, and he loved checking those out too.



We set up the tent and got everyone into pjs. Lucy decided to join in the fun of the campout. We had a million blankets in there, 'just in case' but it was so hot, I'm sure they won't need them.



The kids skyped with Grandma and Papa before going to sleep. And now Logan and I get the house to ourselves for the evening. Logan wasn't too impressed. He was mostly disappointed that Dad was staying outside. He didn't really care where the kids were sleeping. Haha.

Max, my buddy, is 5. He was my bouncing baby boy, just 5 years ago. It seems like less. Maxwell means Spring and he was born on the first day of spring. And he has had a spring in his step and in his bum since the day he was born. Just can't sit still!

He loves knock knock jokes and watching Power Rangers. He LOVES Star Wars. He is SUPER excited about his birthday party and so am I! I can't believe it's finally here. I have so much to do!

No comments: