Saturday, March 17, 2012

March Break

The kids have been off school all week. As per usual, I was really excited for a week off from making lunches, getting up at a scheduled time, meeting buses, homework, and all of that. Turns out, my week was WAY busier then it would be if we were trying to stick to the school schedule. But we had fun.

The kids are starting to get at each other now that the weekend is here. Not 'real' fighting, but bickering. "yes you did." "no I didn't." "Yes you did." That kind of thing. Overfamiliarity.

Tyler and I had a special treat on Tuesday evening and were invited out on a double-date with some of our friends. I finally got to experience a restaurant in Kingston (seriously, I went out for dinner for my birthday...that's it). I don't even remember the name of the restaurant, but it was awesome. Great Italian food. We laughed, and listened to live jazz music. Then we went to the Marble Slab for ice-cream. We were home earlier enough to put the wee one to bed, which I always like. It was a great mid-week getaway. Except it made the rest of the week feel really slow. I was ready for the weekend. Even though it felt like a weekend because the kids were off school. We didn't have weekend mentality.

Wednesday we headed to the Frontenac Mall to check out the Reptile Guy. This guy had visited the kid's school and they thought it was awesome. Lucy is learning about Spiders right now, so she thought it was especially exciting. So excited, that she made toast for her dad, who was holding us up:
It was our very own Smucker's commercial.

They touched snakes
They touched an Alligator
They held a Tarantula

And by "they" I mean Max.

They coloured pictures

And pretended to ride on the mall rides.
Fun times.

Thursday was the best day of the week for me. We headed to the Public Library for a puppet show, which we were too late for, but the kids enjoyed browsing the books anyway - and Max signed out two Wii games, which was awesome in his mind. Max also had a play-date that afternoon with his buddies down the street, and Lucy and I spent the afternoon painting her nails, emailing grandma, and watching American Idol.

My conversation with Lucy:

"Lucy, I have to go get Logan from his nap, so we can go get Max, so we can go get Dad from work, so we can go get the van." "That's a lot of 'go gets!'"

We had been shopping all week for a new van, since the lease on our car is up next week. And we finally decided on one and were picking it up. Actually, we decided really quickly on the van, but it took some time to arrange inspections, banking, insurance, etc. But Thursday night was THE night to pick it up and take it home. Whoot Whoot! I seriously feel like I'm making excuses just to go out and drive it...with all 3 kids in tow. It's so much easier now! Plus, you can push a button to open doors. It's beautiful. And it's beautiful to look at. Tyler and I both agreed that we didn't care about the colour, but now that I see it's red beautifulness...I like red.

Friday, the kids and I headed out for our first trip in the van to get Lucy's haircut and to go shopping for Tyler's birthday present. Walmart special! It's what he wanted, ok?

And I'll get to Saturday. Because it's St. Patty's. And that's a post all in it's own.

Now I'm prepping for Sunday, and for a new week that involves lunches, and buses, and homework...plus, planning a 5-year-old's birthday party for next Saturday, and a 31-year-olds birthday dinner and getting ready to leave for Mexico in a week. It's 11:00 at night, but thinking about my week makes me tired.

I have also been loving on this little friend all week. But that's not really different than any other week. When dad said he needed to go to the store to get bread for sacrament, he quickly put boots on over his footed pyjamas so he could go too.
Plus, he likes to match. Mostly with Max, but he's not particular. He likes to match Daddy and mom too.
He's taken to calling us "Heather" and "Tyler" a lot lately too. Which makes us crazy and laugh at his antics.

He had a run-in with the vacuum cleaner this week too...Lucy screamed and yelled, "Logan split his head open!" So I came running to discover this. Not even a drop of blood. We then had a conversation about what we scream about and what we don't.

No comments: