Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mexico Day 13 - Easter Sunday

Today is Easter Sunday. We have no plans for a traditional Canadian Easter Dinner. And the stores are VERY vacant of Easter Treats that we would call home. Fortunately!! I brought some of my own. Just a bit.

We headed to Tulum for church and enjoyed listening to testimony meeting in spanish. I was able to pick out a few words. When the meeting first started, Max turned to me and asked, "Is it ALL going to be in Spanish?" I told him yes, but that they were saying the same things we would say, just in their language. I tried to translate the hymns for him (easy on the opening hymn - Joseph Smith's First Vision) and the sacrament prayer. He seemed satisfied after that.

At one point, Lucy turned to me and asked, "Is President Monson the prophet for ALL the world, or just Canada and the US?" I told her all and then she asked, "How do people in Mexico, or China understand what he's saying?" I explained that it's broadcast in their own language, even though he speaks English.

It's been interesting for my kids to get an idea of the church on a global scale. At one point Lucy asked me what I thought the 'real' language was. I was unsure what she meant. Like, what Adam and Eve spoke first? This is exactly what she asked and I tried to explain the Adamic language and the confounding of the languages at the Tower of Babel. I told her we don't know exactly what language was first. She then said, "I think it's spanish."

Of course, relaxing Sunday means more reading. Tyler and I didn't come prepared with more than just the first book of the Hunger Games and so we've been borrowing Auntie Dixie's e-reader because she has book 2. Unfortunately, that means we have to share it back and forth (which is NOT easy!) and we have to give it back eventually! We will definitely be looking at the bookstores in the Cancun airport on Tuesday to see if we can find it.

After church we had omelettes for lunch (easter eggs...get it? no?) and Logan had a nap. After the nap I set up our super-mini easter egg hunt. Literally, I only brought 3 packages of mini-eggs and 2 bags of mini-kinder eggs. But it'll do.

I made the kids close their eyes before they went on the hunt, but we had to wait for the grown-ups too, so they were closing their eyes for a LONG time! Logan prevailed.


Then they were allowed to hunt.




My mom had mailed me some easter things for the kids too, which included stickers and things to decorate eggs with to make them look like bunnies or chicks, so I brought them to Mexico with me for the kids to find as well. Super Duck!


Logan got Superman Eggs, Max got Star Wars, and Lucy's had polka-dots. Of course, the chocolate has to be kept in the freezer so it doesn't melt!



Not the same as an Easter in Canada...but the reason for the holiday remains the same. And that's something you can celebrate anywhere.

No comments: