Monday, April 30, 2012

Bees are Buzzing

A week ago Lucy brought a notice home about a JE Horton spelling bee coming up at her school. She was so excited to show it to me that I signed her up for it right away.  That girl is an awesome reader and she can spell pretty good too, so no worries.  The next day I told her I had signed her up and she tells me she didn't actually want to do it.  Well, too late!  I reassured her that it would be fun and not too hard, and no big deal if she didn't win, that wasn't the point.  So Friday morning, Tyler, Logan and I packed up to head to the school and watch.  Logan insisted on bringing his Dora backpack because he was going to school.  He so can't wait!  

All the little grade ones lined up and took turns spelling words.  They started off easy with 3-letter words like, "Dog, Sat, Mat" and then progressively got harder.  Lucy made to round 4 and tripped up on the the word "White".  By that point it had been widdled down to about 12 kids and they went strong for a while.  Misspelling a word wasn't a huge heart-ache anyway, since they were giving out GIANT freezies to everyone when they finished.  Lucy's best friend Jessica made it all the way to 3rd place and then got the word "Shoal" and misspelled it.  I thought she was cheated.  What kid in grade 1 can spell shoal!  Who's even heard of that!  Oh well.  It was fun.  We were so proud of our little Lucy.  So brave!

It has been cool and rainy all week and it's driving me crazy because my yard looks like a hobo has been living it and I just want to attack those weeds.  So Saturday was the day...rain or shine.  Fortunately it wasn't raining...but it was dang cold!  We got rid of all the pesky weeds and cleaned up the yard, and then I headed to Canadian Tire (solo!  Hallelujah what a nice break!) to pick out some planters and flowers for the front doorstep.  Lucy didn't want to make the effort to come with me, but really wanted to Daisies.  I told her if she didn't come then she didn't get a say in the flowers I got.  I ended up getting lots of daisies.  What a sucker.  Plus some Gladiolas and Pansies.  Beautiful!  I also got each of the kids a garden decoration that they got to put in the planters.  A pink butterfly for Lucy, a Humming Bird for Max and a Dragon Fly for Logan.  Now I have 3 beautiful planters that make my house look ready for spring.  We've been pulling them into the house every night because it's still a little cool.  Come on Ontario!  It's the end of April!  I was promised some pretty fantastic weather by this time.  




Can't wait for visitors to come and see my beautiful yard!  Hint Hint!  

the rest of this week is devoted to getting ready for Lucy's birthday party on Saturday.  To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement.  It's going to be monumental!  Plus the kids have a spring concert on Thursday (Lucy's birthday) that they're nervous/excited for.  I love spring.

No comments: