Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hearts a-flutter and other bird-like things

The other day, Lucy kept chatting away and singing, like she usually does.  She was chatting about needing to write her song, and I didn't pay much attention to it, because she's usually chatting about writing something, or drawing something that she's got in her imagination, and she usually takes to it pretty quickly.  She gets paper out of the printer and set to drawing pictures or writing stories of fairies or family or cats.  And she hems and haws over it, trying to get it just right.  And after she goes to bed I usually find such drawings or stories lying around the house in random places where she has deemed to drop them for the evening. But they are precious, not garbage or recycling...so we end up with piles of these little papers all over, until months later I can file them in the big blue bin and she won't notice.

On this particular night, after she went to bed, I discovered her latest creation on her craft table and stopped to take a look.  The writing is so neat for grade one, but it was the subject that caused me to smile.  Lucy's first song.  I quickly posted it on Facebook because I knew Dad and Grandma's would love to see it.  Someone asked me who the song was about, and suddenly I was shaken and realized that this song could ACTUALLY be about SOMEONE.  Oh, not my little 6-year-old.

The next day I asked her about it, and she gave a shy smile and said, 'No, it's not about anyone.  Just a song I wrote." and she left it at that.  So I left it at that...and I hope it stays like that for a long time.  At least 12 more years.

This morning, the boys and I headed to the library to return some things and get new things.  I love the library.  I love that we can read and play games and watch movies for free.  Love it.  Plus, my kids love it too and that's awesome.  Our movie night last week was watching Treasure Planet, which we got. from the library.  for free.  That and some Hot N Ready pizzas and it was a pretty cheap and fun night.

Today we were 5 minutes early to the library and had to stand around waiting for it to open.  So we decided to walk instead of stand around.  The library by our house is just off a dog walk and some paths that lead down to the lake.  So we went.

The lake-shore was swarming with little bugs which are driving me crazy this time of year, but there was also some Canada Geese and ducks and this beautiful gem.

Yup, that's a Blue Heron!  Amazing!  There was actually two of them, but this is a close as I could get with the zoom on my camera phone without scaring them away.  Amazing!

We also found a giant replica of Eeyore's house, and so of course the boys had to venture inside.  All this, plus a trip to the library, a bike ride, and playing at the park and it was a pretty awesome morning.  Go mom!



Do you think Logan loves his dad?  I'd say from the look on his face, the answer would be yes.  


No comments: