Monday, May 9, 2011

I'm Making Waffles!



This morning I did something that I rarely do. I made breakfast. (Toot my own horn!) Most mornings we wake up, get ready and eat cereal for breakfast, because it's easy, and to be honest, I love it. But, since I'm trying to fill our dadless time with fun things, I decided to make my kids some breakfast today.

I snuck out of the house a few minutes early this morning while everyone was still sleeping and went up to Grandma and Papa's to borrow their waffle iron. Mixed up some waffles. Cut up strawberries. Syrup. Juice boxes. Yogurt. Then, I met my kids in their bedroom with housecoats in hand and invited them to breakfast. They thought it was great. We relaxed in our jammies for a while before getting ready and just enjoyed the morning.

As soon as they had their fill, it was time to get dressed and get on with the day. There was much to do! We built a tent in the living room and colored, played UNO, and sang songs like Wheels on the Bus and Popcorn Popping. We had lunch, and then headed BACK into the city to look for shoes for Logan. This time, our trip was a success.

Shoes, a trip to walmart for diapers and wipes and then over to Grandma's. We spent the afternoon and evening there enjoying the sunshine by playing in the backyard and eating leftover Mexican from yesterday's Mother's Day dinner. The kid's cousin even took them to the park for a bit, which was totally awesome.

It felt like a long day. Really long actually. Waffles feel like forever ago. Tomorrow we're back to the routine of school and groceries and laundry and I miss the weekend already. I don't know what I'm going to do when Lucy is in school 5 days a week. I really enjoy our 4-day weekends right now. I hate a routine that is not my own.

No comments: