Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hooray, Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!

Today was my baby's first birthday. It's surreal to me. The first year is so excruciating and wonderful at the same time, that it's hard to believe that it's over. But, there is the bonus of having two children before him, so now I can be super excited for the next year. So many baby steps in the first year, but now some of the monumental stuff starts to happen (at least for my kids, I know others breach these milestones sooner). First steps (Logan has mastered his first few steps this week, so he beat his birthday by just a few days); first teeth; first words (other than Dad); and a first for us...a trip without our kids. That's a post for another day.

We celebrated the day from Sun-up to Sun-down. As much as a one-year-old can celebrate. I tried to sneak in on him when he woke up, because I discovered him sitting up in his bed playing, and I don't know how long he had been doing that for. It started with a big loud "Happy Birthday" from each member of the family, and then a joyful round of the Happy Birthday Song. Lucy was off to school, which she was majorly disappointed about - how can I go to school on Logan's birthday? Trust me sweetie, you'll be at school for a lot of birthdays.

Max and Logan and I headed up to the church for a play date with a bunch of other boys. Logan is the first of 5 babies born in our ward within 4 months of each other, so now comes the string of first birthdays. We had fun playing with remote control cars, and "What Time is it Mr. Wolf" and tag. Max was so excited to go, and then proceeded to sit on my lap for the first 20 minutes, not looking at or talking to anyone. I finally convinced him to play tag by holding his hand while he ran. At one point I told him he'd probably run faster if he wasn't holding my hand, and he let go (of me, and his fears) and had a good time.

Then it was home for a nap, some lunch and more playing with a big brother. The boys and I played cars, built towers and knocked them over. Logan's favorite part is the knocking over and he does it very well. Sometimes his little hands shake in anticipation as he's gearing up to knock over a tower. It's hilarious. Then we headed to the kids room to play because he just thinks the kid's room is the most amazing place. We got out dishes and food from their play-kitchen and made all kinds of soups. Logan kissed and cuddled a baby and screeched at Max. Then it was time to pick up Lucy from school.

After another nap, we had dinner...of Logan's favorites. Salmon, french fries, and salad. He's been coughing a bit today and didn't have much of an appetite for his favorite foods, but we made it through dinner with only a little bit of fussing. Then it was more playing and tubbie time...also his favorites. He thinks it's hilarious right now to throw the tub toys out of the tub while I'm occupied doing something else...like blow-drying Lucy's hair.

He had a couple birthday phone calls throughout the day. Grandma B, Kari & Barrett, and Emma left a voicemail. He looks like he's really not happy about the phone calls, but he's really just angry that I won't let him hold on to the phone by himself. He loved the phone calls. Kari and Barrett sang Happy Birthday and he smiled at the phone the whole time and then gave it 'bones' when they were done.

Dad came home just before he went to bed and gave him some much-needed daddy cuddles. What a full day for a one-year-old.

People keep asking me if I'm going to have a birthday party for him, and I'm undecided. Partially because I don't know when, our days are so filled up with PhD work and home renos that Tyler's rarely around. Partially because I've done big birthday parties for my one-year-olds before and the party is more for the people (myself included) than the baby, and it's a lot of work. How lame-o is that. I promised myself that I would always make a big deal out of my kids birthdays though, so I have to keep that promise. I'll figure out a way that I can have fun and feel like we made a big deal for Logan too.

He is a handsome little man.

No comments: