Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Romance

I always find it amazing how a sound, or a song, or simple image, or smell can bring back a flood of memories. Yesterday on my way in to the city, I stopped to check the mail, because I knew the gift Tyler had ordered for me for Valentines Day would be there. Perfume. He wasn't very sneaky this year, but I was excited anyway, because I knew he had ordered me my favorite perfume that I haven't had for years. Ralph Lauren Romance. I love it. He bought it for me when we were dating, like a decade ago. I don't remember what the occasion was. Christmas, birthday, anniversary. But I used it pretty much every day and it's the only perfume I've owned that I actually finished the bottle. I have others that I like and use every so often, but not like this. I use Lancome's Miracle (which Tyler got me after we were married) and Gucci Envy (a gift from Tyler's brother for Christmas). I also have one called Play from Avon, which I ordered for myself when I used to be an Avon Lady. *Ding Dong*

So I opened my beautifully wrapped gift today (brown box packaging with an address label on it) and pulled out my new perfume and was surprised to find TWO bottles of perfume. Ralph Lauren Romance AND Lucky for Women. So he CAN pull off a surprise still!

I opted for the all-time favorite today and as I sprayed on the perfume, a huge flood of memories came back. Like I said, I wore this perfume everyday through our dating years and the smell just brought it all back. ID Bracelets, trips to BC every weekend, lunchtime dates to our favorite restaurant, never saying goodbye, kissing in the car (yes, we did that - and we're married now with 3 children, so I'm not ashamed to say it, I mean, come on, kissing is awesome! Especially when it's not rushed or interrupted by 3 kids!) I feel like this post could go on forever, because I would love to expound on all the memories that I have been reflecting on today.

I will wear my new perfume tomorrow. Lucky for Girls. I'm undecided on it, since it's a scent that Tyler really likes and discovered when he was on his mission and has always wanted me to try. Don't ask me how a missionary discovers a girls perfume on his mission. Apparently it was really popular in Utah 10 years ago. And Tyler has always been popular with the ladies, so...

So far, it has been a great Valentines Gift because it feels like so much more than just perfume. Sappy, I know. Ralph Lauren must have known what he was doing when he named it Romance.

The other awesome part of our date was taking a dip in the hot tub last night after all the kiddies went to bed. I have not been in a hot tub without kids in years and it's amazing how much quieter you can talk when you're not trying to have a conversation over splashing and screaming. The Hot Tub really CAN be relaxing.

2 comments:

Catherine Dabels said...

Sooooo.... was there kissing in the hot tub?

Wait, don't answer that.

Angi Gerrie said...

Ha ha... Lucky. Yes, I suppose all us Utah girls did wear that 9-10 years ago... Man, I am getting old.