Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Canada Day

On Tuesday I promised Lucy I'd check into the weather, and if it was going to be nice, we'd do something fun outside on Wednesday. So today, we packed up a picnic and headed to Bowness park. The kids had fun playing at the park for a while and trying out all the slides. We brought a soccer ball and kicked it around for a little while in the field. Auntie Janeen came with us, which was super helpful to have an extra pair of hands and set of eyes. It was a little busy today, being Canada Day, but not so much that it was annoying. We had our picnic lunch at a vacant table and then decided to head over to feed the ducks...something my kids enjoy doing every time we come to the park. Janeen and the kids headed that direction while I took our picnic back to the car and brought it around to a closer parking spot. It was a bit difficult to come across any parking by this time, so I had to circle quite a bit, and then finally follow an older couple back to their vehicle to take their spot. They were kind enough to oblige. We fed the ducks for a bit and then met up with Grandma Janielee and Vicki just in time to go for a paddleboat ride. It took Janie and I a few minutes to get the hang of the steering, something Lucy did not enjoy, but once we did we had a pleasant float. Lucy, of course hates anything that involves motion and water at the same time, but she came around, after our half-hour was up. Grandma and I had to spend almost the entire time trying to calm Lucy down and telling Max to sit down because he kept trying to touch the water. We headed back to the cafe to reclaim our driver's licenses, deposit, and to get an icecream cone. Max settled on a smarties cone, but had a few licks and then took over Janeen's passionfruit sorbet. Lucy got her usual cotton candy, and I enjoyed some butterscotch ripple. MMM-mmm. It was getting late in the afternoon and Max was getting tired, so we headed back to vehicles. The kids and I drove around the city for 45 minutes so Max could have a nap. At one point I realized I had to go to the bathroom and probably couldn't hold it the entire nap, so I rushed to my parent's house, left the kids sleeping in their carseats in the driveway and used the bathroom as fast as possible. They were none the wiser and I was RELIEVED! Once Max woke up, we stopped at the Children's Place to check out a sale and at Michael's to get more 'painting things' as they like to call them, for tomorrow's fun day of crafts. We also got some Tinkerbell coloring pages, so we should have a fun day at home. So far, we're handling things pretty good on our own...but I don't want to get used to this. I know Tyler is always sad to leave us, especially when we do so many fun things without him, but we just have to occupy ourselves. I'm looking forward to watching Mama Mia tonight. Did I mention that most of the six movies I got from Blockbuster are girlie movies that I only get to watch on my own? It's my tradition for whenever Tyler leaves. I must admit (probably to Tyler's disappointment) that he did watch Bride Wars with me in the theatre. I was having a particularly bad day and needed a break and so we headed to the theatre in Cochrane to see the movie of my choice. He's a great guy. The best part was that he didn't feel bad missing any of the movie to step out and get popcorn. See you soon Tyler!

No comments: