Friday, July 24, 2009

Big Boy = Sad Mom

This week Tyler purchased two toddler beds from Walmart in an effort to give us a little more space in our trailer. Max is still sleeping in a crib, but with the announcement of our soon to be new arrival, we're starting to plan now. The plan, as it stands, is to have the older two share a room, and to put the baby in Max's room. The rooms aren't that big and have low ceilings (making bunk-beds difficult) and so we thought the toddler beds would be a good option. Lucy got a Princess themed bed, and Max got a Cars bed. We also bought matching fleece blankets for them. There were lots of options on the blankets and at first Lucy wanted to go with the Tinkerbell blanket, much to the dismay of his Miss-Matchy Mother, who preferred the Princess blanket. Fortunately, when Lucy found out the Tinkerbell blanket was on a purple background, whereas the Princess blanket was more pink, she insisted on the princesses. We set them up yesterday to the delight of the kids (although their patience wore thin as Tyler and I tried to work with some poor craftmanship). Max's bed was up first and he climbed in an out a hundred times...I hope that is not a vision for the future - we have such good sleepers and I'm always worried about disturbing an unbroken system. In one of Max's attempts to climb in he jammed his belly on the side rails and was quite upset by it. This procluded his wanting to sleep in the new bed at nap-time yesterday, and I definitely wanted to do a trial-sleep before we tried the all-nighter. His stomach bothered him on and off throughout the rest of the day and I was worried that this toddler bed would prove to be a bad decision in more ways than one. But after a good night's rest, he seems to be just fine. I also worried that Lucy would have a hard time adjusting to a smaller bed after already being in a big-girl bed for 2 years now. She seems to be just fine though, and slept great last night. Well, nap-time today was the offical trial for Max. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his 'Lightening McQueen' bed for his nap, and he said "yes!" He ran down the hallway and climbed in...the easiest that process has ever gone. Max usually requires me to cuddle with him for a while in the rocking chair before I put him in his crib, but today he would have none of that. He climbed in, pulled his blanket on by himself and told me to go away. I asked if I could sit beside his bed for a bit (I wanted to make sure he actually fell asleep and didn't just get back up and start playing). He didn't really want me to, but didn't protest too hard, so I stayed. He fell asleep so quickly that it made me a little sad. Who needs a mom anymore when you have a Lightening McQueen and Mater pillow case and blanket to comfort you. What am I going to do without my daily dose of Max cuddles? (always proceeded by a wrestling match of course). He's asleep now...we'll see if he gets the full two hours in the new bed, like he did in the crib. Sigh.

No comments: