Thursday, July 2, 2009

A little of this, a little of that

So we ended up having a fun day at home, doing our 'painting things' and coloring and just hanging out. As we were painting and coloring, we listened to a kids CD and whenever a fun 'activity' song came on, we'd put our brushes down and dance around the room. We danced to The Wheels on the Bus and The Hokie Pokie (not sure how to spell that) and many more...it was a good way to have some activity in our pretty low-key day. It was a pretty calm day except at one point Max had a melt-down for nearly an hour. We've been building him up to get ready for potty training, which he has mostly been resistant to, but yesterday as he started filling his diaper, he told me to put him on the potty...too late. I tried to explain to him that he was already messy and putting him on the toilet was fruitless, but he was just so upset. He cried and screamed in his bed for a while and finally I had to change him under protest and put him to bed. Lucy and I colored in the tinkerbell book while Max slept and watched Gilmore Girls. Max joined our coloring for a bit and then we headed out the door for dinner. I haven't had much motivation for cooking while Tyler's been gone. We decided to head into the city and go to our favorite Vietnamese place. It's at a new, larger location and it was fun to check it out. We were surprised to run into Kari and Barrett while we were there. They had just arrived in town for Kari to be in the parade the next morning and the Vietnamese place is one they frequent whenever they come to Calgary. I promised the kids a cool surprise after dinner so we drove to my parent's house for a quick visit. Mom told me she had seen all six of her grandkids that day, each separately, so it was a nice surprise. The kids played in the backyard almost the entire time, watering grandma's strawberry bushes and playing with toys while I visited. Lucy came running into the house so excited to tell grandma that she had spotted an almost ripe berry. This prompted the watering. I think they were hoping the strawberries would full riped while we stood there. Max was using a tiny watering can and I guess he got thirsty because he soon was watering himself. It was nice to get out of the house for a moment and have an adult conversation again. Plus, my sister surprised me by telling me that one of her guy friends thought I was smokin' and was disappointed to hear that I was married with two kids. Since I was wearing my power suit still and hadn't put any make-up on, it was a definite pick-me up. (I was a little more presentable when said friend had seen me, otherwise he may not have paid the compliment).
I quickly rounded the kids up and headed home as we were planning for a VERY early morning to get to the Stampede Parade. My kids are not early risers and so having to leave our house at 7:30am is a huge stretch for us. My mom lent me "Confessions of a Shopaholic" for my girlie movie tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it...even if it kept me up until 12:30am when I had to be up at 6:30. Good day. I'm not allowed to blog about the movie as Alison still hasn't seen it, but I will say it's fluff...but super fun.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Thankyou for not ruining the movie for me :) and ps - you ARE so smokin' hot!!