Sunday, July 26, 2009

Motor-on-Home

On Sunday evening, after spending a relaxing day at Grandma's, Tyler decided to pull out a 4-wheeled motorbike we had inherited from one of our tenants who left it in our shed to see if he could get it working. He and Papa set up their workshop in the living room (an ideal place for such things) and proceeded to fiddle for about an hour, constantly telling us it would 'just take a few minutes.' Of course, I was hoping to get the kids home and in the tub before bed, but couldn't because the power had gone out earlier which included tripping the water-pump in the well, which I needed one of those two men to fix, but they were occupied. So we sat and waited. Tyler teased me about the importance of creating memories was far greater than clean children, which I understand, but a happy mom is always most important...right? Anyway, they eventually got it to some semblance of working condition and allowed the kids to go for a ride down the hill...that is, after they had electrical taped a towel onto it because it has no seat. This project had Red/Green written all over it. The battery wasn't fully charged so it only had enough juice to carry the kids down the little slope of a hill between Grandma and Papa's and our house, and then Tyler had to carry it back up the hill for the next ride. The kids had fun for about 20 minutes going back and forth...Max had absolutely no steering skills, but was not phased in the least by any sort of jostle of hill, whereas Lucy was precise in her direction, but barely pushed the button enough to get the thing moving, and anytime it picked up a little speed, her feet would hit the ground to slow it down. Like I said, the batteries were pretty much dead, so it only goes maybe 5 km an hour...if that. She's my timid girl though. At one point, Lucy jumped on the back of Max's ride and quickly became the world's worst back-seat driver, which drove Max crazy. I finally got the kids heading home, at which point Tyler headed down the well to fix the pump, so I was left to get kids ready for bed (tubless) by myself. Max wasn't too keen on settling down and didn't want me to change his diaper. I decided to put his new diaper on my head as a joke, which quickly turned into a new game, and we all wore diaper hats around the house for a few minutes. It was fun, and I'm sure I'll regret this public display some day, but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

No comments: