Sunday, March 1, 2015

And we'll do it all again

Today Tyler was called as the 2nd counsellor in our new bishopric in the Cochrane ward of the Calgary Alberta West Stake.  We knew they were changing the bishopric and had a get together at Scott and Janie's last night where we all discussed who we thought it would be...part way through that evening, Tyler got a call on his cell phone from Pres. Stevens that he wanted to meet with both of us this morning before church and suddenly we didn't feel like joking anymore.  

I felt stressed last night.  I told Tyler that of course I would say yes to any calling that he or I was asked to do, but I felt like we should probably make them aware of our situation and that having a new baby in our home means that in struggling with PPD right now and the next year will be tough.   

This morning as Pres. Stevens extended the calling for him to serve alongside Bishop Jamie McLellan and Mat Fernandez and asked if I could support him in that calling, all that came out of my mouth was 'yes'.  And I will.  

I felt proud and calm all through church.  Sustained.  I was standing at th back of the chapel as they called for th sustaining vote and it was amazing to see the new bishopric announced and see our former bishop, Jim Taylor raise his hand the highest in the congregation in sustaining vote of them.  

I had many people come up to me after and say, 'should I offer congratulations or condolences?' And I would laugh.  Sometimes I'm not sure.  But I do know this:

Watching your husband be called and set apart and then work in a calling of leadership is a privilege.  I am proud to be married to someone who is worthy of such callings.  And willing to accept.  He takes on a different mantel.  I feel like I see his spirit - his eternal self - when he is acting in those capacities and it's a good thing for a wife to see.  

Nephi describes himself as a man 'large in stature' which I'm sure is descriptive of his physical appearance, but I also think it is a spiritual description of how men who magnify their priesthood also appear.  

Tyler was also ordained to the office of high priest as a result.  It was awesome to have this calling, ordination, and setting apart witnessed and participated in by our family.  I always wished our families could see him as a branch president , because it was amazing to see.  

I am grateful that we live in a ward with most of Tyler's family.  I am hopeful that this will be easier because of that.  Having him on the stand for the next number of years will be difficult for our 4 kids and I, and I'm hoping that having grandma and papa close by will offset that.  As it is , I spend most of sacrament meetings pacing the back of the chapel. So my older 3 kids are left to their own devices.  

Yesterday I had a rough day and my husband sent a tearful me out of the house.  I drove Max to his cubs activity and then drove into the city to meet Janeen and Coleton to give them their license plate.  It was a short break, but a much needed one.  And I came home hopeful.  In my tearful state I prayed to feel my Saviour in my life.  In my hopeful state I prayed with gratitude for my husband and our life.  

Today, my husband was called into the bishopric.  Is this the answer to yesterday's prayers?  I will need to rely even more on my Savior.  

I can do hard things.  Inner ninja.  

No comments: