Thursday, March 26, 2015

Life Lessons from a 5 year old



In case you were wondering, these are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning (I know because I had to google that today): 
Headache
Dizziness
Weakness
Nausea
Confusion
Chest pain

Let me share a story:

Today as we went outside to play tennis during Seth's afternoon nap, this guy informed me that we'd have to get a different tennis ball then the one we used yesterday because he accidentally stuck it down the air intake/output tube for the furnace last night.  

Wha?!  

This is AFTER the furnace shut off in the night last night.  And AFTER I had our friend Matt take a look at it this morning AND the service technician come out and adjust the air intake switch because for some reason it just wasn't getting enough.  Go figure. 

And AFTER I had fretted about the furnace being worked on while I had a baby sleeping.  And AFTER I had taken the fastest shower in my life right before the technician showed up because showers don't happen very often unless you squeeze them in.  

And AFTER we had had the furnace running again for most of the day...filling our house with silent, odourless deathly gasses...

So we had to turn the furnace off again so we didn't all end up with carbon monoxide poisoning, go to town to the plumbing store to get some PVC couplers and glue and have Uncle Tyson come and cut the PVC pipe so we could fish that tennis ball out.  Fortunately my hands are just the right size to fit inside a 3" PVC pipe and shimmy a tennis ball out.  Learnt that today too.  

I DO love this kid.  We had a long talk about where NOT to stick tennis balls.  

And lesson learned: when your 5-year old says he accidentally stuck a tennis ball down the white pipe outside, don't assume he means the rain spout...go investigate just to be sure.  

I don't know about you, but carbon monoxide poisoning feels a lot like parenting.  I have a headache.  

No comments: