Monday, January 2, 2012

January 1st - Happy New Year

Today is Sunday, so our celebrating of New Years Day is limited to home stuff...and church stuff. But after a busy Saturday/New Years Eve, that's about perfect.

We went to church in Cochrane again, and loved seeing everyone there. It was nice to go this week with the whole family too. Logan's been a bit grumpy, so Sacrament meeting was a challenge, but we made it. Two of the Young Men that Tyler taught were giving farewell talks today, so it was awesome for us to be able to be there. Plus there was a baby blessing, so the chapel was packed.

Logan also had the treat of having Grandma as his nursery teacher today. Worked perfectly for a visiting Sunday. Lucy and Max both enjoyed going to primary in Cochrane and seeing all their friends there. And I got to go to Sunday School with my husband! Tyler 'thought' he left his wallet at the movie theatre last night, so he made a trip back during Priesthood to go check. It has his driver's license in it, which we need for ID to get on the plane in 3 days...so it's kind of a big deal. Luckily, it was there.

After church we headed in to Calgary to my parents house. The kids were planning to have a cousin sleepover with Emma tonight at my mom's. We stopped by the Calgary Temple grounds to check it out on the way to my parents. They have stone mostly up the sides and it's really starting to look like a temple.

We spent the afternoon snacking on New Years goodies and playing games. Mike & Tammy and their kids and Trevor & Becca and their kids arrived around 4:00, and we've all been having a grand old time hanging out.

Mike brought out his iPhone with songs and themes from different movies and tv-shows (mostly from the 80s) and we all had fun seeing who could guess the name of the show or movie the song was from. My favourite? "Twistin' the Night Away" and "Cupid" from Innerspace. I love that movie and I totally forgot about it. Tyler hasn't even seen it, so now I have to see if I can find it. We used to watch it ALL the time...on VHS of course. Martin Short, Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan. It's a good one. Watch it, if you haven't.

So the sleepover ended up including Ashley as well, and we tried to get all the kids settled into their room about 8:45pm. It was LOOOOOOONG after 11pm before kids finally started sleeping. Way too exciting. At one point, Mike went up there to settle things down and the kids asked for a drink. So he came up with the great plan that he was going to 'sneak' the kids downstairs for a drink and they had to be in quiet stealth mode so none of the adults heard (we were wise to their game). All the kids were up for it, except Lucy. She kept saying, "I don't think that's a good idea." "My mom's not going to like this." "Just bring me my water bottle back, I'll wait here." Haha. It does me proud to know that she will do the right thing, even when I'm not around...and even when her Uncle is goading her on. Way to stand strong Lucy!

We finished the late night with adults playing cards until too late, and then chatting even later. Mike and Tammy finally went home about 2:00am. Just after Callum vomited in this carseat. Poor guy! The other kids finally settled down when my mom went up there and took Ashley into her bedroom to sleep. Grandpa got the couch.

Our plan is for the zoo and zoo-lights tomorrow, with EVERYONE. I guess it's technically today. Should be fun!

No comments: