Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 28th - Airdrie Lights!

Today, we spent the day hanging out at my parent's house. Actually, the kids and I hung out, and Tyler headed to the movies with my brother and my nephew.

My kids love playing with their cousins. Logan loves trying on shoes...so trying on cousins shoes was inevitable. Here he's wearing Cy's (Cy is huge, by the way - he was hoping to be taller than me. He's taller than my mom already, and I'm next on the totem pole...not quite, but SOOOO close).

Logan also likes to try on people's hats...or making me try them on.

Then, it was back to my parents so Logan could have a nap, because after the nap we were going to head out to Mike and Tammy's for the kids to have a chance to play together for a bit, grab a bite to eat, and then head to the Airdrie Lights Festival. It was a ton of fun!

We had pizza and vietnamese for dinner and headed to the lights all bundled in snow-pants and mittens. The lights were beautiful, and the kids had a lot of fun.

There were lots of boards with cut-out faces for the kids to stand by and get pictures. I don't know what they're called...or if they're even called something. It was dark, so taking pictures in the dark with TONS of Christmas lights was difficult.





We finished the evening playing at the park for a few minutes before heading home.

Of course, it wouldn't be a family get-together without a little drama. While playing at the park, we all said goodbye and went our separate ways to the different parking lots that we had parked in. Alison went one way with Jillian and Lucy; my parents and Mike & Tammy went the other way with their kids. Tyler and I were still at the park trying to get the boys to come with us, because they didn't want to leave the park. At one point, we thought Emma was missing, so Tyler took off looking, but it turns out she was fine. When he got back, I was pulling Logan off the park and he started screaming and hitting. Typical these days. When I turned back to the park, Max was gone. Like, GONE. We both looked around the playground, to no avail. He ran towards my parents to see if Max was with them...nope. All the while I'm calling, "Max!" A friendly couple close by stops me and says, "Are you missing a child?"

It isn't until I'm asked this question that I actually start to get worried and panic, and the emotion starts to creep into my throat. "Yes!"
"What is he wearing?"
"Blue plaid coat, blue hat"
"How old is he?"
"4"
"What's his name?"
"Max."
And they're off calling for Max too.
I'm hefting Logan around trying to find him. The park is so big and dark with so many people. It's 9pm now and they're starting to turn off the Christmas lights because it's closing for the evening. I check the ice-rink, Tyler's running around, the other couple are calling for Max. Finally, Tyler runs to the parking lot where Alison is waiting with the girls to see if Max is there...and of course, he is.

There are so many times when my panic and worry turn into frustration and I can't help screaming, "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?!"

Not today. Today is total relief. A big hug. And buckle into the vehicle, with a gentle reminder, "Max, you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to make sure Mom and Dad know where you are..."
"Ok mom."

Panic over.

And Logan had a blast riding home in Papa's truck with Cy. What a great big cousin.

No comments: