Friday, April 1, 2011

Bittersweet Symphony

Yesterday as I was getting ready, I decided to jam some tunes. So I flipped through my ipod choices and settled on the playlist entitled "Heather's Hard Jams" This is full of my ACDC, Metallica, Aerosmith, Green Day, Collective Soul, and Eric Johnson. Yes, you may be surprised to hear, I am a closet Classic Rock junkie. For Valentines Day one year, Tyler bought me tickets to Metallica. Pretty crappy concert, but the songs are great.

As I was listening to my hard jams, I got to thinking about how music motivates me, and how much easier it is to get things done if the right song is playing. And the right song completely depends on the mood. Because sometimes ACDC is just annoying.

My Playlists are these at the moment:

Christmas - usually only played during the month of December: Mariah Carey, Manheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Charlie Brown Christmas, Natalie Cole, Harry Conick Jr., Tony Bennett, Chipmunks, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby (ALL TIME BEST!), John Lennon, Beach Boys, Judy Garland...

Country - when I feel like putting on boots and stomping it up. Artists include Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Dixie Chicks (only some), Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, and Paul Brandt. (Love me some delicious Keith Urban)

Disney - Because sometimes you just have to groove to some Disney music. And my kids love it. This also includes Kung-fu Fighting (from Kung-fu Panda) and I Like to Move it (From Madagascar) and some Winnie the Pooh. Favorite: Trashing the Camp from Tarzan.

Hard Jams: All-time favorite: Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson. Awesome song.

Jams: This is my mix. I've got me some Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, Tegan and Sara, Ke$ha, Jack Johnson, Black Eyed Peas, Taio Cruz, Neil Diamond, Michael Buble, Queen, Smash Mouth, and Willy Aftermath! Whoot!

Old School: This is my 80s and 90s throw-back. I love me some old school music. This stuff gets me MOVING. Ace of Base, MC Hammer, Wallflowers, Verve Pipe, Bush, OMC, Gin Blossoms, Spice Girls, LFO, No Doubt, U2, Real McCoy. It reminds me of sitting in my basement bedroom with my sister, checking for spiders, stealing her clothes, and getting ready for seminary. Good times.

Sunday: Mostly Primary music. The playlist is short because I find most EFY music annoying. So I stick to the basics. Most of it is downloaded from the LDS.org music site.

Sweet Stuff: This is my lovey-dovy music. Songs that mean something to Tyler and I. KC and JoJo - super lame song, but we danced to it a thousand times at the youth dances, Goo Goo Dolls, Lifehouse, Paul Brandt, Miles Davis (our first dance at our wedding), Hoobastank, Wedding Singer, Counting Crows, Sarah Vaughn, Michael Buble, Norah Jones, and my favorite - The Luckiest, by Ben Folds

So that's what I listen to. In case you were wondering. I love music. Most of the time I love quiet. But sometimes, the right song is just what you need.

What do you listen to?

1 comment:

Alison said...

Honey - ACDC is ALWAYS annoying!! And Boys 2 Men and Lion King remind me of that room in the basement - great times... :D