Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day

In Sacrament Meeting on Mother's Day, one of the speakers commented that Mother's Day is always one of guilt for her, as she realizes her short-comings as a mother. I reflected on her comment and similar comments made by others and realized that I do not feel the same way. Now, that's is not to say that I think that as a mother I am all that and a bag of chips, but it's a pretty good annual reminder of why I'm here, and makes me want to be better. It's like taking the sacrament every sunday to help us renew our covenants with Heavenly Father; or making resolutions on New Years - Mother's Day helps me renew my resolve to be a good mother...and more importantly, it reminds me how much I love my kids.
So here are some of my Mother's Day resolutions:
- I will try to hug more and yell less. Lucy tells me that when I talk to them, it's always "yell, yell, yell."
- I will try not to rush bedtime - they should go to bed feeling smothered with love and safety
- I will play more and clean less...and not care about the mess
- I will try not to tire so easily
- I will trust that Heavenly Father will teach me how to make up where I am lacking.
At the end of sacrament, the Young Women gave out some chocolates with this quote attached:
"Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even with hesitation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to touch the hem of the Master's garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and sometimes weep over their responsibility as mothers, 'Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.' And it will make your children whole as well." - Jeffrey R. Holland

2 comments:

Erica said...

I feel exactly the same way Heather. Love where you used the word smothered. :)
Beautiful post and Elder Holland is MY FAVORITE!!!

The Creightons said...

I really like that quote! It is always so relieving to know that our labors are not in vain, and if anything qualifies us for the blessings of heaven, it is the efforts we make to rear His children in righteousness.