Thursday, June 18, 2009

How about you?

I think that Alberta is always a few weeks (or months) behind the rest of the Western world. In most places 'April Showers bring May flowers' but here we're still dealing with snow in April, so it's usually 'June Showers bring July flowers'. We had a bit of a break from the rain yesterday and decided to hit the zoo before school was out for the summer and it gets overrun. Tyler's not much for crowds...and neither am I when I'm with the kids by myself. The kids were excited for a day outside and to see their zoo friends that they hadn't seen in quite a while. We made stops at all our usual places, seeing the elephants, zebras, tigers, lions, hippos and giraffes. We were also able to see the arays in the elephant exhibit, which Max was really excited about, since the last time we say rays (in San Diego) he was able to stick his hand in the tank and feel them. He was 'very' sadly disappointed that he wasn't allowed to touch these ones. But we enjoyed waving and saying hi. This time we decided to venture somewhere we hadn't in quite a while and go over the Canadian Wilds. It's usually less busy and you get to see a variety of different animals. The kids enjoyed seeing the bears, although Max was crying on his way over. Even though he had just seen more than a dozen other animals, in their cages, for some reason he envisioned the bears being on the loose, and it scared him a bit. They enjoyed sitting on a bear statue and making their growling faces at me. Dad even get in on the show. We were able to see porcupines, caribou, eagles, bison, otters, and wolves. The kids like the taxidermied foxes and wolves they had in the otter house. On our way back through the zoo we decided to hit one more spot we rarely see, the prehistoric park. Again, it was a much quieter walk and the kids had fun seeing their favorite dinos. Triceratops and T-Rex. It was a fun and hot day. On the way home we decided to stop for slurpees. A treat my kids have never experienced. I went for basic orange, but the rest of my family was adventurous and enjoyed bubblegum flavor. I was getting a bit of a migraine as we drove home (loss of vision, and some numbness in my left hand, which I've never experienced before) so we took it easy at home for the afternoon with naps and coloring. While I was at primary meetings and a bridal shower in the evening, Tyler and the kids took Papa to Big Hill Springs park (boots in hand...but no camera!) and enjoyed walking the paths and stomping in the creek. It was a pretty great day for my kids...and on the drive home, there was an awesome rainbow that seemed to land right on top of our house. Again, no camera, so my mind's memory will have to do.

1 comment:

Angi Gerrie said...

Fun! I keep meaning to take Deakon to the zoo. We will have to go when we come back.