Monday, February 26, 2007

Little Eyes and Ears...Part 2

Lucy's ability to pick up on the negative aspects of conversation is becomming uncanny. A few nights ago in the tub, she threw one of her toys and said, "That's dumb." I had to remind her that we don't say "dumb" and she replied by saying, "Sarah says that". I told her we would have to tell Sarah not to say that anymore. She proceeded to sit in the tub for the next five minutes repeating over and over, "We don't say dumb. We don't say dumb. We don't say dumb." When I finally said, "LUCY!, stop saying dumb." she responded by asking me about every other thing we have taught her not to do: "Mom, do we hit anybody?" "No Lucy, we don't hit", "Mom, do we kick anybody?"...etc.
And tonight, she added another phrase to her growing list of things not to say, "What the heck?" This was again followed by a lesson from mom that we don't say that...to which she responded, "Matt says that."
I guess we're going to have to start practicing some good old-fashioned censorship 'round here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had that with Abbey, We were out to eat about a year ago, she spilled her milk and very loudly said "oh crap!"

Laura Leavitt said...

Got to love kids- and there amazign abiltiy to pick up every little phrase that we say. I have to watch myself too.