Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mont Cascades

Well, it's Sunday again.  I'm exhausted.  I don't feel I've taken enough time to decompress in preparation for the Summer of George.  Pretty much I have filled this whole week with as many fun things as I can come up with.  It's setting some pretty high expectations for the following weeks.

At soccer on Thursday night, we found out our friends, who just got home from a trip to Alberta and who we missed terribly, were going to Mont Cascades Water Park on Saturday.  And so we invited ourselves to join them.  Pretty nice of us, hey?  We're awesome like that.

Mont Cascades is about 2 1/2 hours away just north of Ottawa.  It's a ski hill in the winter and water park in the summer.  I wasn't planning on being away all day Saturday, so Friday suddenly got really busy.  I had to have mine and the 2 kids talks ready on Friday because I knew it would be a later night on Saturday.  Plus I got some groceries to take with us for a picnic lunch.  Cleaned the house.  Had the kids clean their rooms.  Made sure all the bathing suits that we had been using all week were clean.  And went to the neighbours to play in the sprinkler.  I was exhausted all day from a very terrible night's sleep (seriously, I tossed and turned until about 3:30am unable to sleep - it sucked), so we opted for a night at home eating burgers and watching "Back To The Future II".  It was awesome.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early and in the car to head to the water park.  Tyler had the brilliant idea of playing the alphabet game in the van on the way, and then we tried to find all the numbers from 1-9 as well.  It took most of the trip and he commented, "Hey kids, when we were young we didn't have DVD players in the van so whenever we went on trips anywhere we would play games like these."  We also listened to the top 40 with Kasey Kasum for a few minutes and he explained that before iPods and MP3s and downloading music, if you were broke, you listened to the radio and tried to record your favourite songs onto cassette tape.  I'm sure our kids think we're so old.

It was a bit cloudy and windy at the water park to start, but it heated up and turned out to be a fantastic day.  In fact, it heated up enough that we all got a little toasty.  My shoulders are crazy sore today and the kids have red faces.  Grrr!

We made the mistake of starting with 2 of the big slides first which scared Lucy and Logan and I thought our day was going to be ruined before it even started.  There were lots of tears (Max loved it).  Once we found the kiddie pool with kids water slides Lucy and Logan were happy and proceeded to be content there for about 4 hours.  It was awesome.  Great day!









 At one point I had to take Logan out to the van for a nap.  I set up the playpen and sat with him while he slept, promising him that he could do more water slides when he woke up.  After about an hour I decided I should probably wake him so he would have a chance to do some more slides before we had to leave.  I gently rubbed his shoulder and whispered his name.  Normally he would fuss or at least yawn or stretch and lay in the bed for a few minutes before agreeing to get up.  Today, he sat straight up without a yawn or a stretch and immediately said, "Now we can do more slides?"





On the way home we decided to make a quick stop at IKEA because we don't get there very often.  What was supposed to be a cheap dinner (I love IKEA prices!) and a quick peak at curtains ended up being 2 1/2 hours!  We didn't get on the road home until 9pm.  (After MULTIPLE potty breaks - seriously, can't kids figure out their digestive systems and go to the bathroom all at once?  Graphic - pee and poo do not need 2 separate trips to the bathroom!)

We were home by about 10:45pm.  The kids fell asleep in the van and we carried them inside to their beds.  

But we did get some curtains and a picture.  I'm excited to put them up.  

Today we had to be at church extra early now that Tyler is Elder's Quorum president and has to attend Ward Council.  The kids and I hung out in the primary room and ate breakfast, practiced their talks and I reviewed my talk while they played in the nursery.  I ended up scraping almost everything I had written and gave a talk that I had not prepared.  I think it went well.  

Logan had to take a turn practicing a talk in the primary room too, of course.  It was so funny to only be able to see the top of his head at the pulpit.  

Logan has taken to calling Sister Piasetski in our ward "Grandma".  She's the grandma of one of his friends and his favourite person in nursery (thank goodness the nursery tears have ended!) and now he calls her Grandma.  It's sweet.  

We had a linger longer after church that was pretty lame.  With so many people moving and people on vacation there weren't very many people there.  Plus we are all SO tired that we just wanted to get home.  Thank goodness for a day of rest.  I Love that we don't have anywhere else to be today.  I need a break.  

I didn't sleep good again on Friday night before our trip to the water park and I was beginning to worry that I was hitting an insomnia phase, like what I experienced as a teenager.  Fortunately, lots of driving, a day in the sun at a water park and a really late night (plus a sunburn) were a recipe for a good night's sleep last night.  I'm not sure it's a recipe I can repeat very often!

Max's Talk
Being Kind is Doing and Saying Nice Things to Others

Being kind is something that can be very hard, but it can also be very fun.  
Some ways that we can be kind are:
  • giving a compliment, like saying, “You’re awesome!”
  • listening
  • remembering to say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’
  • Saying sorry
  • sharing
  • drawing a picture
  • being reverent
Sometimes it is hard to be kind when someone else is being mean.  It is important to still be kind.  There is a primary song that says, 
“I want to be kind to everyone
For that is right, you see
So I say to myself, remember this
Kindness begins with me”
I know Heavenly Father and Jesus are happy when we are kind
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  

Lucy's Talk
Being Kind is Doing and Saying Nice Things to Others
I would like to read you a story from this month’s Friend magazine
(READ STORY)
I like that story because it shows how important helping and doing nice things for others can be.  I also like that the sister was still kind to the girls, even though she was trying to stop them from being mean to her brother.  She wasn’t mean in return, but instead decided to create a game that they could all play together.  Sometimes, being kind is forgiving.  Or showing kindness even when others are being mean.  
Helping someone who is being picked on is one example of being kind.  
Some other examples of being kind include:
  • serving others
  • complimenting a friend or family member
  • visiting people who are sick
  • sharing
  • drawing a picture
  • bringing a friend to church or other activity
Heavenly Father and Jesus want us to help each other.  Jesus was always kind and helps everyone.  I can follow His example.  
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  

No comments: