Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Word or Two about Tuesday

Yesterday, the kids had eye-doctor appointments. About a week ago, they did a vision and hearing screening test at school, and Lucy came home with a little letter that said it was recommended that she see an eye-doctor. She got a little giggly-nervous about the idea of glasses and 'almost' shed a tear, until she remembered that her friend Natalie wears glasses, and they're bright pink, and they look great on her.

Max's test came back totally fine, but we decided to get him checked anyway.

All weekend I had been thinking about what it would be like to see Lucy's beautiful little face with glasses on it. I was thinking about how cute she would be, because she always is, and also about the maintenance it would take to have a child with glasses. I was envisioning broken glasses, misplaced glasses, taped glasses, and those little elastic bands that help hold glasses on your head. Of course, when I envisioned all of those things I was envisioning a child more like Tyler (because he experienced ALL of the above being a child with glasses), not like Lucy. I'm sure she would be perfectly responsible and take care of her glasses and wear them when she was supposed to, leave them on her face, and not break them.

So by the time Tuesday came, I was prepared for life with glasses.

She sat in the chair and went through the tests just fine...missing a few things, but apparently, according to the doctor, she's totally fine. No glasses needed. Phew!



Then it was Max's turn, who we booked to have the appointment 'just because'. He stumbled over the answers, didn't focus, and basically bombed the eye exam...at least from my perspective in the parent's chair. I suddenly got this really nervous feeling that HE was the one that actually needed glasses and then my fears of the broken, misplaced, taped, or elasticized glasses were suddenly more possible and quite likely a reality considering a Max with glasses. Oh great. I had not prepared myself for this.

Apparently, he is just fine. The eye-doctor reassures me that kids his age usually don't answer her questions because they're too nervous to get something wrong, that they don't want to even guess. His eyes are fine. See you in a year.



Phew!

They walked away with some fish from a Treasure Chest and our trip was complete.

Next up...Dentist.

No comments: