Monday, February 6, 2012

SuperBowl Party...?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not really big into SuperBowl Sunday. It's just another Sunday to me. Tyler likes football, but he doesn't watch it very often. And I'm always at odds about watching the SuperBowl simply because it's on a Sunday. I mean, we don't PLAY sports on Sunday, so why do we watch other people PLAY sports on Sunday...especially people who are paid to do it. Of course, it's not that big of a dilemma for me, because I don't really care to watch it. Except for the commercials. I usually perk up when those come on, because let's face it, SuperBowl commercials are the best.

Needless to say, I was somewhat aware that SuperBowl was coming up, because I'm not dead, but I hadn't planned anything. Then, I was catching up on some of my favourite blogs, when I noticed a friend of mine had posted some healthy snack choices for a SuperBowl party. Amongst those was a recipe for Guacamole, that she touted as "The Best On The Planet". Although I am not a huge fan of SuperBowl, I AM a huge fan of snacks...and especially Guacamole. So I figured I'd give the recipe a try.

When Tyler found out that I bought ingredients for Guacamole, he suggested we invite some friends over a make it a SuperBowl party. So somehow, even though I don't like the SuperBowl, a Guacamole recipe launched a SuperBowl party that I wasn't planning on having.

We invited a family over who has kids similar ages to our kids, and who we get a long with GREAT. And a feast ensued!

The day had started with Max puking in the bathroom, so he stayed home with Dad while Lucy, Logan and I headed off to church. By the time we got home, he was right as rain and playing XBox. I'd almost say he had been faking it, if I hadn't seen the puke myself.

Since he was feeling better, we decided not to cancel our evening plans. I'm glad we didn't. It was WAY too fun.

Am I the only one who thinks that Madonna was pretty lame in her dance moves? I mean, I get it, she's 53. So just don't dance then. The cartwheels and high leg kicks (can you even call it that?) were just bizarre. BUT I am still a Madonna fan, so I loved listening to the music.

We finished the night off allowing the little ones to make a big mess of my kitchen decorating cupcakes and eating Ice-cream Sundaes.



It has been YEARS since I had a full-blown ice-cream Sundae, and I LOVED it. Vanilla ice-cream, caramel AND chocolate sauce, strawberries, bananas and honey-roasted peanuts. Oh, that was good! It would have been just perfect with some crushed pineapple, but I wasn't going to open a whole can just for my single serving of ice-cream. What is with the rest of my family and not indulging in a full-out ice-cream Sundae? Lucy likes chocolate and caramel sauce, but fruit doesn't belong anywhere close to dessert in her mind. And Max, oh my Max, the plainest Jane of all the Janes...or maybe he's a plain John? Vanilla ice-cream, straight up. That's all. Logan had some ice-cream and some strawberries and bananas, but not together.

So, although I didn't watch much football, besides the Madonna half-time show and the commercials, I had a great time hosting my own SuperBowl party!

The evening ended a bit late, but that's what parties are about, right? Kids were off to bed, and I napped while Tyler watched some TV. A 10:30pm nap is always fun, right?

Today, Logan seems a bit down and out and went straight to his nap without eating any lunch. I'm crossing my fingers that he gets over whatever he's fighting as quickly as Max did yesterday!

By the way, you can find the recipes for our feast on my other blog: Heather's Wooden Spoon...there's a link right over there --->

1 comment:

Jake said...

Did I miss the Guac recipe on the other blog? I didn't see it there.