Sunday, October 2, 2011

General Conference Weekend

This weekend is a monumental event in our home. It's akin to Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is a lot of planning and preparing that goes into meal planning and activities for this weekend. Basically the plan is this:

Don't plan to do anything else except watch General Conference.

To execute that plan, meals must be well thought out, so as to not require mom having to be in the kitchen while conference is on...but also ensuring everyone is fed, so there is little to no whining during conference as well. Plus treats. And bingo....with jujubes and gummie bears.

The weather has turned cool and rainy this weekend, so staying inside, cuddled together to watch has been perfect.

Conference is almost done. One more session. And i've loved it.

It's been a bit different this year as this is our first General Conference outside of Alberta. The time zone change makes a difference. Conference is at noon and 4pm, instead of the usual 10 and 2pm. And the Priesthood and General Relief Society sessions were from 8-10pm.

It's also been different because we've been away from family. We've always watched sessions at either of our parent's houses. Eaten lots of food. And visited with family. Someone at my mom's house always makes cinnamon buns.

So this session, we decided to invite friends over to watch with us. We had the Larocque family (our age with 3 children the same ages as our children) for the Saturday afternoon session and dinner. The missionaries also joined us for dinner. It was fun, noisy, and heart-warming. Today we have Sandy Cunningham from our branch coming over to watch the afternoon session. His family has already moved back to Alberta, but he is still here finishing up school.

I have to admit I did find the change in session times actually quite nice. There wasn't a rush in the morning to get ready, eat breakfast and get settled in for conference by 10am. I was able to prepare dinner for both days in that time, plus make treats.

Yesterday we had Roasted Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. And waffles, bacon, hash browns and juice for lunch.


Today it's cheese and crackers, etc, for lunch, and Chicken Broccoli casserole for dinner. Plus, the kid's and I made Darn Tasties. The plan was for cinnamon buns, since it is a tradition, but I didn't realize until this morning that I didn't have any yeast. It was fun to have a kitchen-full of helpers in the cookie making process. Logan was especially excited to help...and taste.

Lucy really wanted me to take a picture of her in her apron.

It also worked out well for a 2pm nap that was guilt-free. I wasn't sleeping through a talk, but instead just taking some much needed rest. What is it about conference that makes me so tired? Plus the wonderful soothing voices of the prophets and apostles. Sunday afternoon is hard to stay awake, even for the most faithful.

We've also had the chance to Skype with our families, which has also been nice.

Oh, and we've made houses out of cardboard boxes.

As I was sitting listening to Sister Barbara Thompson's talk about Personal Revelation, I had the following thought come to my mind: (she was talking about praying with Faith...and I thought about Joseph Smith's First Vision) Maybe sometimes I don't receive an answer to my prayers because I am not yet ready (or faithful enough) to do what the Lord will require of me in answer to my prayer. Joseph received that remarkable vision because he prayed in faith...meaning he prayed with full intent to do whatever he received as an answer. Not because he fathomed what the answer would be...but that he was willing. Maybe sometimes I"m not there yet, and that's why the answers are slow to come. Or the Lord needs time to help me get to a place where I AM willing.

I was interested to hear Elder Hales state that same thought, nearly word for word, the next day. It's moments like that that affirm to me that this is the correct church. The collective mind of saints is a testimony to me.

I have enjoyed so many of the speakers. I really enjoyed Tad R. Callister's talk today on the truth of the Book of Mormon. i struggled through Elder Neil Anderson's talk yesterday on Multiplying and Replenishing, because this is something that is close to my heart and my mind at all times. My heart is willing...but my body and mind are still resistant. There is some fasting that needs to happen in that area.

I have appreciated the moments my children have paused their playing to stop and listen. Even if it is with a jujube incentive. Or when they have sung along to the hymns that they know. They especially enjoyed the Primary Choir that sang yesterday and recognized each of those songs, so they sang out loud and proud.

The next session will start in just a short time and then it will be over for six months. I feel great anticipation for conference, and then it seems to go by so quickly. I look forward to hearing from our prophet again. I was disappointed to hear that Elder Holland spoke at Priesthood session...I'll have to go back and listen to that talk later. I loved Sister Dalton's talk to the Father's of Daughters.

I appreciate technology that makes listening to conference from thousands of miles away so possible. I was intrigued by Elder Bednar's talk about the Spirit of Elijah and how the youth of today are responsible and need to get involved. That our understanding of technology is the very thing that qualifies us for the work. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ; this gospel; the Book of Mormon; Eternal Families; Joseph Smith; and Personal Revelation. I am grateful for the Gift of the Holy Ghost. As a mother, it is my lifeline.

3 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

I don't know why, but I got a chuckle when I saw you took a picture of your mom on skype and posted it on your blog.

Erica said...

Gosh you're amazing. And I myself got a little inspiration from your prayer comment. You just never know where it'll come from...:)

Dad said...

I agree that sometimes revelation comes because we aren't ready, but I also feel that sometimes revelation doesn't come because we don't have to be ready. What I mean is that even if we are capable of doing what would be required from receiving that revelation the Lord mercifully lets us wait until we are more ready and allows us to grow consistently and gradually. So, we need to have faith that even when we don't get the answers we seek that it is because the Lord knows best, for whatever reason.