Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Torch

I'm speaking of the Olympic one, not my eternal flame...although he's pretty exciting too. Yesterday, the Olympic torch came through Cochrane on it's way to Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics. It was pretty exciting to have such a thing happen in our small town, so there was a lot of build-up...at least in our house and at Lucy's school. The kids in her class made Olympic medals to wear as well as a pin with their name, 2010, and a Canada flag on it. They were all instructed to wear red and they got the day off school so they could participate. Tyler reworked some meetings he had scheduled so he could join us for this potentially once in a lifetime experience. The nice thing about it coming through our small town is we didn't really have to deal with any crowds to be able to see it. The kids, Tyler and his Grandma set up across the street from the Nan Boothby library and wait about 30 minutes before it came through, waving their Canada flags. As the runner went by and was on his way out of town, Tyler turned to the kids and said, 'Ok guys, that's it.' Neither one of them believed him. Max was like, 'are you kidding? we sat around waiting all this time for THAT guy?!' Lucy thought there would be more than one torch...so I guess it was a bit of a let down, but I'm glad they had the experience just the same. I explained that we would watch the torch on TV when it got to Vancouver and we could see them light the big torch. They seemed excited about that.
I unfortunately ended up missing the whole thing as I woke up feeling not too hot, and got even worse as the day progressed. I spent most of the day laying on the bathroom floor, in and out of consciousness...wishing that I could just throw-up and get it over with, but alas, no such luck. I was so glad Tyler had been able to reschedule his day as he was now available and took care of the kids, as I was mostly unaware of anything else around me for a number of hours. Things started to settle down around 7pm and we played charades as a family (which consisted of the kids acting out animals while Tyler and I sat like vegetables on the couch). Tyler and his dad gave me a priesthood blessing and assured me that I would be able to sleep that night without any interruptions. (That's a blessing that I need most nights, not just when I'm sick!) I had been a bit worried about that, as I hadn't made it more than an hour without a trip to the bathroom all day, but I had also slept quite a lot during the day, so I was worried I'd be up all night. I ended up sleeping just fine and was only bothered by an aching body...laying around for 36 hours is a little rough on the hips I guess.
Tyler has been so good to take care of things for me and entertain the kids to help me get the rest I needed. At one point, Max came to see me and I told him he should go play. He said he could rub my back to make me feel better. Sweet boy. Unfortunately, they all had to deal with my stinky sulfur burps that I couldn't seem to control. I think Tyler likes it when I get sick like this sometimes because it gives him a chance to rub in my face that I do get stinky sometimes. We have been together for nearly 12 years and I have tried VERY hard to remain pleasantly smelling that entire time. To put it delicately, I don't pass gas around him...ever. I think he was excited for me to be pregnant, in the hopes that that would change, but even still I have remained rose-like (well, let's just say I don't usually have bad odors...not necessarily always good ones though). So a day like yesterday I guess is made for Tyler...because it certainly wasn't for my benefit!

1 comment:

Janas Bananas said...

Oh man, you are a good woman to hold it in for 12 years!! I didn't even make it to the marriage part before the passing of gas was introduced into our relationship...Mind you I have never been known for my pristene behavior, so are we really surprised here?? ;)