Thursday, March 8, 2007

Big Girl and Baby Blues



Lucy slept in a big girl bed today for the first time. We've had the bed set up in her room for a couple of days now, but have been waiting until we got some linens before she was allowed to use it. When we woke up this morning I told her we would get to make her bed today and that she could sleep in it for her nap. As she helped me make the bed, she would let out little squeals of excitement, and as soon as we were done, she said she was ready for a a nap right away...this was at 9:30 in the morning. We proceeded to make cookies for dad, play games and have lunch, and then it was time for nap. It took her a few minutes longer to fall asleep than usual, with so many different things to look at, but once she was asleep, she slept great. As I left her room, I felt a little bit of sadness at having such a big girl, that I crept back in and took a picture of her sleeping. I think the combination of pregnancy hormones, lack of sleep, and the fact that she is doing so many big-girl things these days has made me a little blue-sie. She is in the bed for the night tonight, so hopefully it goes as well as the nap did.
The other night (Tuesday) I started having some major contractions around 10:30pm. They were about 8 minutes apart and the whole episode lasted for about an hour and then subsided. In the meantime, Tyler was watching the clock and we were both discussing whether this could be 'it' or not. I started to feel a little panicky and told him I wasn't ready yet. For 2 weeks I've been walking around telling people that "I'm done" and the prospect of being in labour scared me to death. there were so many things I still wanted to get done before the baby came. I've been sewing a quilt for the baby which still wasn't finished and I knew I would get done if I didn't finish before he was born. And then little things like some laundry, cleaning the house one more time, and picking up a few things, like groceries. Over the last 2 days I have managed to get all of those things done, so now I feel prepared. I wouldn't quite call it nesting, because I haven't had a sudden burst of energy or anything, just the drive to finally get things done and stop procrastinating. Now I feel ready and I'm sure the baby won't come for weeks.
As Tyler and I were counting minutes between contractions the other night (which is much like counting the seconds after a lightening flash before the thunder), I got a bit emotional and told him I was worried about what having a 2nd child would mean. I was worried, not that I wouldn't have enough love for both, but that I would be busy and Lucy would feel the brunt of that. We've been just two peas for a long time and it's hard to imagine it being any other way. As a result, we spent a "Lucy and Mom" day today. We didn't leave the house and all and spent every moment together, except while she was sleeping. We baked cookies, played cards, did puzzles, sang songs, and just hung out together. It felt good to share that time with her. Tomorrow I'm hoping to take her swimming, just the two of us as well.

2 comments:

The Kane's said...

Awww, I totally know what you mean even though I am not expecting I have thought about how I can't imagine it not being just Kayla and I! Sometimes I feel like having another baby would take away from what Kayla and I have but obviously I know that will not be the case.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, I kinda felt guilty the first few weeks, but it all works out in the end... and if you think Lucy is big now what till you bring baby home, I remeber thinking that I left my baby at grandmas and when we picked up Abs she was this big girl!