Friday, October 23, 2015

A Satisface Day

After a full day in the sun I have a full days Mexican sunburn. 😒. Oh well.  What better place to recover from a sunburn then Mexico?  Guess I better be more wise with sunscreen application.  

This is how we rounded out our day: 

swam in the ocean - very salty, big waves. 

Got sand in between our toes

Showered - uninterrupted!!

Had a FaceTime call with the kiddos - who claim they miss us terribly but didn't stay on screen longer than 20 seconds...hmm.  

Went for dinner at Carlos n Charlie's where we ate until we were in pain and enjoyed all the shenaniganizing of the waiters and waitresses.  

Walked around downtown Cancun.  A lot of inyourface vendors.  

After we had been inyourfaced more than enough times I commented to Tyler that it must be a hard life to have to live like that.  Working at night because that's when tourists are around, haggling to get a few bucks, knowing you have fairly similar wares to sell as the next guy.  There was one man painting beautiful landscapes with spray paint.  He was clearly very talented.  But it looked like he had his 3 kids sitting with him on the side of an alleyway, just waiting.  

We continued our walk.  Just before we got to our hotel there was a woman with a blanket laid out with all kinds of beaded key chains, bracelets, necklaces, toys - not much different than anything else we'd seen.  But she had a sweet little tiny girl strapped to her back who was fast asleep.  So I stopped to talk and look at the woman's wares.  She offered me 3 for 50 pesos (about 5 dollars), which worked out perfectly for me since I had been contemplating souvenirs for my kiddos.  We picked these:


They're little bobble-headed figures.  She makes all of the items herself.  I asked her how old her daughter was.  She's two.  Told her I had a one year old at home.  We paid her 60 pesos and said goodnight.  As we walked away Tyler said: 'as soon as we saw that lady I thought, 'we're going to buy something here...''   I may be soft-hearted and maybe she brings her daughter because it increases her sales...but she was tender.  She tried to show me everything without being pushy, she was far away from the hustle and bustle of downtown - maybe so there's less competition, but probably also because it's quieter and her daughter can sleep - and when I asked about her daughter there was softness in her eyes and voice.  I think she's just trying to be a good mama.  And I miss my kiddos who never want for anything...

It was a good Mexican day.  

And, to lighten things up, we have some mini-bar humour:



No comments: