Saturday, August 11, 2012

Uncle Phil's Wedding

Today was the real purpose of our visit to Montreal.  My Uncle Philip's wedding.  It was a bit of a drive to the wedding location and we really didn't want to be late (due to traffic) so we set out plenty early.

I love a wedding, because it gives me an excuse to dress my cute kids up in nice doo-dads.  Seriously, they're cute.




It turned out to be a pleasantly warm day with rain and thunder after photos outside were taken, which made it cozy to stay inside the reception hall and dance.

My Uncle Phil is not one that I would have guessed would ever get married.  I'm not sure how old he is now.  My mom is 58 and she's the oldest.  Phil is the youngest, so my guess would be somewhere in his early 40s.  He has long hair down to his waist and spends most of his time drinking or at bars.

Just last summer, when we were visiting, he spoke of an ex-girlfriend and pronounced that he would never get married.  No surprise there.  A few months later, we found out he was engaged.

My mom had been doing some family history work at home a while back and had the thought that the Favreau name would end when Uncle Phil passed on.  He's the only boy and since he's not married, (not that these things always go together), he doesn't and wouldn't have any kids.  She said a quick prayer that Phil would find someone to love and that the Favreau name could continue on.  A few days later he called to say he was engaged.  Tiny miracles.

So we all turned out in celebration of this wonderful and surprising event.  My Uncle Phil is also a 'metalhead', so we weren't surprised when the music for the wedding consisted of Slayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Def Leopard.  Heavy on the Slayer.

It was a beautiful wedding and it is so obvious how much my Uncle loves his new bride, Suzanne.  She is beautiful and very sweet...and also a metalhead.

We had a great time visiting with cousins who we almost never see (this was the first time I had ever met my cousin John in person).







Logan found a friend with a toy skate board that he stuck to like glue...until the skateboard broke.  Then he was out of there quick, claiming he had nothing to do with it.  I hope not.  



Max was bored.  But he figured out ways to entertain himself.  

Tomorrow, we drive to the airport in Ottawa to see Grandma and Bumpa and Sam off.  It's the end of our family visit and we're bummed.  School is just a few weeks away and the summer is slipping through my fingers.  I'm trying not to think about my sister getting married in a few days and the fact that I won't be there.  But it's hard to not think about it.  Maybe the beach will comfort me.

No comments: