Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Home is like a Holiday

(pictures of my yard)


Since we moved in we've been filling our time with lazing around and enjoying the heat. We went for dinner at a friend's house on Sunday evening, along with the Elders. It was great. We're pretty used to having family around on Sunday, so it was nice to spend time with people.

The plan was to go the beach Monday morning, but the forecast wasn't great, so we hung out instead. Went to Walmart, bought laundry baskets and garbage bins. I also managed to do something to my back, so I've been a little down-and-out for the week.
We went to the park on Tuesday (there's a park within WALKING distance of my house!!) It was so hot out that we spent most of the time in the shade of a tree and then we walked home to have freezies.



Wednesday we went to Canadian Tire in the morning and bought a kiddie pool and slip'n'slide, so we could spend the entire hot hot day outside. It was great! We've been BBQing for dinner and just hanging out. The idea of the slip'n'slide was so the kids could play and I could lay down on the deck and rest my back (and hopefully get a tan), but setting up 3 kids on a slip'n'slide and kiddie pool for the first time is hardly relaxing.



I think I laid down for 20 minutes in 3 hours. Had to set up the slide, had to hook up the hose (I bought a cheap one and it's pretty short), had to blow up the kiddie pool, had to FILL the kiddie pool, get toys, bathing suits, sunscreen, lunch...Oh well. We have it now. Lucy laid in her towel for a while to warm up, and I went to join her, only to see that my towel had been stollen!







That night, we went for a walk downtown by Lake Ontario to check out the boats. We ended up spending most of our time checking out ducks instead, but it was a good time. I spent most of the time pushing Logan in the stroller because it gave me something to hang on to....it's like a walker. What an old lady I am.




Thursday morning we went to the beach. We went at about 10am because it gets way to hot (and busy) in the afternoon to be at the beach. It was gorgeous and fun. All 3 of the kids loved it.




Splashing, swimming (with new water wings), and building sand castles. We came home with sand in EVERYTHING, and big smiles on our faces.

That afternoon we spent furniture shopping...It was way to hot to be outside anymore. 41 degrees in the shade! Holy. We looked at SO many different couches, that they're all running together a bit. Oh well. We'll choose something eventually.

The funniest part of the week was on the way home from furniture shopping that evening. We had promised the kids an ice-cream cone for being so good, so we decided to stop at the McDs (kind of by our house, but a few minutes drive) to get a couple of cones. We were still in the rental car, so we decided that I would hold the cones until we got home, and then the kids could eat them. Good thinking. I didn't have the cones in my hands for even 2 minutes before they started dripping like a soft-serve shower all over me. Of course, I was trying to spare the rental car and the outrageous cleaning bill, so I just let them drip all over my shorts...Tyler quickly tossed his cone out the window on the highway, because he couldn't drive and save the dripping cone at the same time. We ended up pulling over on the highway and letting the kids suck down as much ice-cream as they could before it melted away. It was seriously ridiculous. But probably something we'll remember for a long time.

It feels a little bit like we're on vacation. We've skyped with family a few times, which is fun, but not the same. This past Sunday we didn't have any plans and so we stayed home and watched Netflicks (Beethoven - my kid's loved it), and ate chili. I felt it a little that day. I love living here. Love it. But I miss people.

Today I cleaned my house. That makes it feel a little more real. I felt a little excited about cleaning my house today. I'm sure that will pass.

No comments: