Friday, July 16, 2010

Prepare Every Needful Thing

So today was the day...finally. Spring cleaning in July. I try to stay on top of my house as best as I can. Well, to be honest, I know I can do a lot better, but it takes a lot of my mental and physical energy, that I have decided is better for me to reserve at this point so I can be a better mom and wife...so a clean house is a lot lower on the priority list. But every once in a while, it just gets to the point where you can't handle it anymore and that's when the overhaul comes. Today, was that day. We made a list of jobs and assigned people to do them. Picking up toys, cleaning the kids rooms, cleaning the kitchen, folding laundry AND putting it away (one doesn't always mean the other), vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the floors and organizing the boot room.

The kids helped a great deal - Lucy worked with Dad in the kitchen and Max helped me with dusting and washing cupboards.

By about 3:00pm they were done with this cleaning and just couldn't understand why we had to do this. We were pretty much done, so we sat down for a spell and I got out my scriptures (boy, I'm turning into my dad...and funny enough, I like it!). I read to them D&C 88:119, line by line and asked them if they knew what it meant. Do we have a house of prayer? yes. Do we have a house of fasting? yes. Do we have a house of faith? yes. Do we have a house of learning? yes. Do we have a house of glory? yes. Do we have a house of order? yes! So, now do we have a house of God? yes! And then I explained to them that having a clean house will help the Holy Ghost to be able to be here more and help us more, and isn't that what we want? yes! Then Lucy got out her paper and markers (as she always does) and made a sign that said, "We have a house of God and we love it" with a big heart on it. Well, that makes it worth it.

No comments: