Sunday, November 23, 2008

Five, Six, Pick up Sticks

This afternoon Lucy invited her Dad and I to play a few rounds of pick-up sticks while Max was having his nap. Tyler was surprised at my skill level at the game and I told him that I used to play this game every Sunday at my Grandparent's house. As I thought about playing pick-up sticks, I became reminiscent and thought about all the other memories I have of my Grandparent's house on Bermuda Road.
I remember the basement with it's dark wood paneling and white stucco walls. I remember the large wood entertainment unit and the padded faux-leather bar at the bottom of the stairs. I remember thinking it was so amazing to have a working sink in the basement. I also remember the bathroom in the basement had a pocket door that didn't lock very well...or maybe too well, because I got stuck in there a number of times. I remember the painting of my Grandma on the wall from when she still had brown hair. She was wearing blue. And the sketch my uncle Christopher did of Ammon defending the flocks that always hung in the basement. I remember skip-bo, uno, and pick-up sticks. I remember Grandpa's workshop at the end of the hall, and how we didn't ever go in there, but every once in a while the door would be left open and we could see some new wooden toy he was making for someone. I remember cheeze-whiz on toast and roasted potatoes (not together), and orange juice with pop in it. I remember the orange plastic panels in the partition wall by the front door and grandma's knick-nacks and music boxes all over. I remember the brown floral couches that always seemed so big, and how their house was always warm. I remember the food storage room in the basement and how it smelt like onions. That's where the coloring books and the large margarine container full of crayons were stored, so I frequented that room every visit. Mostly, I remember at Christmastime, Grandma would put her plastic, electric candles in the front window and as we drove up on dark Sunday-afternoons, I would see their orange glow, and feel like I was home.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Soo fun!! I totally remember all of that stuff! The onion smell! Classic! Do you remember when they knocked out a wall and made their room bigger and then painted it pink? I remember thinking that I bet grampa hates this color! And the copper pots collection above the kitchen island, and the green ceramic candy dish next to "Grampa's Chair", and grampa hugs when we were leaving.... ahhh...GREAT BLOG!! :)

Jennie n Jeff said...

Grandmas are the best... and just so you know Bourne you are my a-list!!!

Michael said...

Too bad you didn't remember how to get there on bikes.

I remember there being lots of paintings of WW2 aircraft on the walls, but I never remember getting in trouble, no matter how many times Grampa had to fish my GI*JOES out of their central vacuuming system.

Samantha said...

i don't remember any of that stuff, but maybe its because i don't think i was ever in that house. I do have some fond memories of grandma's place in cardston, like that each room in the basement looked completly different then the rest of the house, it was like they were just left over rooms from other house's and they just didnt belong, there was on with all the spiders and stuff animals, one that was the dungon and the other that was like the wooden cabin with the weird bifolding door. her carpet was either really hard or really squishy in some parts, and i still don't know if she ever used that work station at the end of the hallway accross from the laundry room. you couldn't ever get the temperture right in the shower downstairs and it felt like you were being gunned down everytime you used it. she had the biggest backyard i have ever seen with the creepy old shed in the back that i didnt even go near, and the bird bath that i used to pick the rocks out of and she would get so angry with me but i still did it anyways. All in all the best part about grandma's house was the smell it may have been old people smell or just the smell of baking i don't know but when i was there i felt comfortable. (but bored out of my mind)