Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Stockings were hung by the 'chimney'?

Last night we made a trip into the city to go suit shopping with Tyler. While we were waiting at Market Mall to meet up with him, the kids and I headed into Zellers to find some stockings. For the past two years I have searched through our boxes that are in storage at Tyler's Grandma's and have been unable to find our stockings. All of our other Christmas decorations are in a box together, and yet our stockings are nowhere to be found...so I broke down this year and decided to just buy new ones. As we walked into the store, Lucy told me she wanted a pink one. I told her that usually Christmas stockings were green or red and that's the kind of decorations we had at home, so we would probably stick to that color scheme. Well, upon reaching the second floor of zellers we came face to face with a big display of peacock blue and pink decorations, including stockings. My 'Miss Matchy' nature told me I wanted to get green and red, but when I saw the pink stocking, I just couldn't think of a better choice for my little girl. It's light pink (all her favorite colors are the 'light' version), satin, and has purple, pink and 'light' yellow flowers on it. I couldn't have dreamed up a better stocking.So now that we had thrown our Christmas theme out the window, everyone got to choose a stocking that they liked, rather than one that matched. Max appropriately chose a "Cars" stocking, Tyler's is classic red (there were stockings that said 'Mom' on them, but he couldn't find a 'Dad' one, so he opted for simple red) and I found a pretty red and blue stocking. All in all, they don't match each other, or anything else, but they reflect us pretty well. We decided to hang them over the TV with our fake fireplace picture in the background. "I'm dreaming of a 'real fireplace' Christmas! Just like the ones I used to know!"

1 comment:

Jake said...

I hope Max is happy with his decision when he gets older and realizes that his stocking is smaller than that of his sister.

I'm impressed that you broke out and went against the matching protocol.