Tuesday, October 8, 2013

General Conference - Sunday

For the Sunday morning session of conference we went to the church.  It seemed like the right thing to do, since Tyler is the Branch President...although Jammie's are always a nicer way to enjoy conference.  We were prepared for this one too with lots of non-messy, non-noisy snacks - I made the mistake one time at a fireside of bringing veggie straws and had to shush the kids a thousand times as they crunch-crunch-crunched on those things...lesson learned - coloring activities, quiet toys, and a loot bag for each.  Since Saturday's treats were such a hit, I decided to make baggies that held snacks of varying types labelled with key listening words on them.  It worked out well again.  


We zipped home to Skype with Grandma and Papa and Sarah and Tyson and to quiz them about conference.  Lucy and Max enjoyed coming up with sneaky quiz questions, such as: 
- what color was the prophet's tie
- how many keyboards on the organ
- what type of flowers were on the pulpit, etc

I was quickly trying to throw together Japanese chicken wings for dinner.  A favorite of Lucy and Tyler's that I hadn't attempted to make yet.  

The afternoon session had us cozied up in the basement again with a few light snacks, coloring and play-doh, and fruit loop candy necklaces.  

Our Japanese chicken wing dinner was a huge hit, with enough leftovers for another meal.  


It was so fantastic to listen to the leadership of the church.  Talks on family are always the most keen for me.  I also enjoyed listening to priesthood session over the internet on Saturday night while running on the treadmill.  It was a good wind-down to the day.  

I can't believe it's done for another six months.  We'll need that long to recover from all the treats, and hopefully we'll be able to bear in mind our prophets' council during that time as well.  

There has been a lot of talk about women and the priesthood this conference, with a group of women trying to get into priesthood session on Saturday night.  It's all over the internet, especially Facebook.  I had the opportunity to comment on an article my cousin posted last week and thought if share that comment here.  Of course, all differences of opinion should always be treated with kindness and love.  These are not issue that are worth losing our tempers or testimonies over.  I appreciated the number of leaders who spoke of the power of the priesthood this conference and the benefit it is to everyone, not just men.  I also appreciated Elder Christofferson's remarks on the choice of stay-at-home mom as a career is a noble and important one.  

My comment: 

This is a good article.  I was sad to hear this was happening.  The biggest issue to me is not whether woman have the priesthood or not.  If The Lord reveals it, then I will support it.  But I don't seek it.  What I do seek are the blessings that are available from the priesthood...and they're available to all.  The true church was restored because many people (throughout the apostasy) were urgently seeking God and his blessings and knowledge.  Those who were (and are) seeking power have always damned their progression.  Joseph Smith was not the chosen prophet of the restoration because he was seeking the power of God, but because he was seeking knowledge, light, and truth.  
The priesthood is the Power of God on the earth.  His name is Heavenly Father, because his greatest power is that of his parenthood and potential for parenthood/creation/continuance.  And I have that power.  He has given me the power to create life and I do not take that power lightly.  
Our goal is to become like him.  So if I am to be more nurturing, or gentle, or assert leadership qualities, it is not because I am a man or a woman...it's because I'm a child of God and those are godlike qualities.  Fathers can be nurturing and woman can be great leaders and it has nothing to do with bearing the priesthood, but instead to responding to the influence of priesthood power...whisperings of the Holy Ghost.  
It has been a great blessing to me to witness my husband grow as he tends to his priesthood duties and fatherhood duties, and his duties as a provider for our family. And in the same way, I know I have grown through our 10 years of marriage because of my diligence in tending to my roles as mother, teacher, counsellor, pianist, or wherever The Lord would have me serve.  I have stewardship over 5 young woman, and I receive revelation on how to run my program and on their needs.  I have not been denied any ability in the magnifying of any of my callings.  
Heavenly Father wants so desperately for us to be like Him and experience the joy that He has that I cannot entertain feelings of scorn or selfishness in not have the authority of the priesthood, when I know His plan for me is to inherit all that the Father has.  I'm just working really hard on being prepared to receive it.

No comments: