Tuesday, April 13, 2010

You might be a red-neck...

We've had a few fun family events in the last couple of weeks, but I never get much time to blog about them. Mostly, because my computer is in my room, which is where Logan sleeps and his sleeping is more important to me right now than my blogging. Except at this moment, obviously. General Conference weekend was great. Just what I needed. I enjoyed watching all the sessions, and I must admit that having church from the comfort of your living room, while wearing your pajamas, or at your parent's house while eating cinnamon buns is pretty nice. We spent the saturday sessions at home, just hanging out and then headed to my parent's for the Sunday sessions and Easter dinner. The kids had an awesome time having an Easter egg hunt at grandma's and playing with cousins they hadn't seen in a while.We spent friday getting ready to hang out with some of Tyler's co-workers. You might be a red-neck if you live in a mobile home and own a big-screen TV. Well, we decided to further the stereotype. The plan was to have a red-neck BBQ, so we got our gear on:

and prepared to deep-fry a turkey. It was a pretty awesome experience, and the turkey tasted great. It was the first time I'd met some of Tyler's coworkers and I made sure they knew I didn't usually look that way. We had a good time. Turkey frying was a new experience for us, so we made sure to read the instructions and follow them to the tee. The directions tell you to put the turkey in the pot first and fill it with water till the turkey is covered. This will tell you how much oil you need to use. So we did this. Turns out, we needed more oil than we had purchased, so the boys ran to town to purchase some. We filled the pot and let the oil come to 325 degrees and then added the turkey. Whoops! Too much oil. Things kind of bubbled over a bit, and orange flame at the bottom of a propane tank that's being fueled by cooking oil isn't exactly what you want to be seeing. We threw a bit of snow on the hot grease to keep things under control. Heart rates were high for a few minutes, to say the least. The turkey took about 45 minutes to cook and came out nice and golden. We dug in right away as it was getting late and we were starving. It was pretty awesome. Probably the best turkey I've ever tasted (I hope my dad doesn't read this!) and it was pretty simple. Except for the paranoia of a grease fire...
We took a red-neck family photo quickly and the kids and I headed home while Tyler continued to play host until 1am. His parents were out of town for the week, and were coming home the next day, so he had a bunch of clean up to do to get the house back in the state it was in when they left. Having party's at your parents house while they're on vacation seems like something a teenager would do...especially party's that involve fire extinguishers.We finished the weekend off with a Bridal Shower for Becca on Saturday, and birthday dinner for Alison on Sunday (with Icecream cake). We've been having a pretty great time. Things have settled down around here and we're getting into a new 3-kid routine, which I always love. Who would have thought I'd be so lame as to love predictability and really not enjoy spontaneity. I like being spontaneous, just in predictable ways!

No comments: