Friday, October 9, 2009

A Real Mom

This week, I've had a bit of excess energy and have been 'sort of' putting it to good use. I've gotten quite a few things accomplished, and yet, if looked around my house, you would probably disagree. I love to cook, and I get excited to try new recipes and master them. I get pretty disappointed when my skills don't match my ambitions, but it's a work in progress, and my family is pretty easy going. All my life, I've thought that to be a 'real mom' I would need to know how to make Sunday dinners. Roast, Turkey, etc. I've never attempted them, because the task seemed to be to great, and I wasn't sure if I could handle it. Well, I'm pregnant with my third child now, so it's time to become a real mom who can cook real food for her family. I was in the grocery store on monday and saw a roast in the meat department and thought, "what the heck" so I bought it. I called my own real mom that night and asked her how to do it. Her nonchalant description of how to make a roast did not put my heart at ease as I figured, "Of course SHE thinks it's easy...she's been a real mom for years!" But I listened and took down the instructions and determined to cook pot roast the next night. Tuesday came, I woke up, got all my ingredients together and stuck the thing in the crock pot around 9:45am, as it was supposed to take about 8 hours to cook on low, and it was still partially frozen (that's a refrigerator story for another blog), and we wanted to eat around 6pm. Pot roast ready, and dinner on the move and it wasn't even 10am. Nice. All I had left to do was make some yorkshires later in the day. Of course, I kept walking over to the crock pot every once in a while to check things out, not sure what I was supposed to be seeing, and not sure what I was looking at was edible. By about 4pm the house was smelling like Sunday and I went to go check my roast again. It was done...2 hours early! eeek. I guess I didn't account for the fact that the roast I bought to feed my family of 4 is probably not the same size as the one my mom buys to feed a family 10. Something to learn. Oh well, I left it for a bit and got started on my other preparations. We ended up eating around 5:15 as I just couldn't leave that thing in there for much longer. I pulled the roast out and let it sit for a few minutes while I got table laid, etc, and then it was time to carve (more of a real dad kind of job, but Tyler wasn't home yet). I sunk my knife into it, preparing for some nice thinly sliced roast, but all I got was a big pile of shaved meat. Oh well (again), it was still presentable enough for a 2 and 4 year old. I decided I had better sample, before I served, so I grabbed a shaving and popped it in my mouth and...drrrrrrrrrrrrrr (drum roll)...it tasted great! PHEW! A little home made gravy, potatoes and carrots and some nearly too-hard-to-eat yorkshires and we were ready for dinner (again, another blog...oh that oven!) I am convinced I would be a much better cook if I could change a few of my appliances.
I was so pleased with my work, which was really a lot simpler than I thought, that I took a picture of our meal and my family enjoying it. We ended up having some food left over as the previously mentioned 2 and 4 year old don't really eat a proper share of roast, so we invited Tyler's family down to finish it off, as they had all gotten home late from work. I didn't expect much comment from Tyler (as he already thinks I'm a good cook...thanks sweetie), his sister, or his dad...but I sat waiting for my other real mom (in-law), as she is my other measuring stick. As we casually sat while they ate and watched "So you think you can dance Canada", she commented, "This is really good roast Heather". I casually said thank you...but inside I was beaming. Thanks to my real mom's, I'm on my way, and feel a little better about welcoming a 3rd child into our family. I guess my next task will be to become a better housekeeper...that doesn't thrill me at all.

3 comments:

Angi Gerrie said...

Pregnant women must think alike... I just picked up a roast determined to make a "real" meal like I had growing up also. :) I have also been baking up a storm... weird. Your roast looks delicious!

Jake said...

Housekeeper, schmousekeeper. Glory in the roast, I know I would.

So you think you can dance Canada? So many jokes so little time. Speaking of which, I've got to brush up on my Canada mocking skills if Larry and Chris move up there.

Erica said...

You're a real mom now!!!! Way to go on the roast. I feel exactly the same way about cooking. I love to clean and do laundry which is sort of weird but if I could hire a cook come to my house every other day to train me on how to make healthy meals for my family (while they prepare the finished product!) my life would be complete. The first time I made my mom's lasagna recipe and it actually tasted like I was eating my mom's lasagna I called her to revel in my Betty Crocker moment.