Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

This morning we woke up early and got ourselves checked out of our hotel in Anaheim in preparation for leaving for San Diego. We headed off to the Anaheim 3rd ward for Sacrament Meeting. Part of the building was outside, and we truly felt like we were in California when we saw that. After church we took the quick trip to San Diego (about an hour) to check in to our new hotel. Max slept the entire way, which was nice, and we enjoyed seeing glimpses of the ocean as we drove. We checked in, got our stuff settled and then headed outside for a little pool time. It's a bit breezy today in San Diego, so the kids spent most of their time in the hot tub and playing cards with Tyler and I, poolside. When we got back to the hotel, we decided to take a quick drive to the San Diego Temple that we had passed on our way in. We were greeted there by Elder Nixon who talked to us a bit about the temple and showed us some beautiful pictures of the inside. He was also kind enough to take a family photo for us in front of the temple. The kids enjoyed walking around the grounds a looking at the beautiful flowers and landscaping. It's really quite an amazing structure right on the side of the freeway, and Elder Nixon said it draws a lot of people of different faiths to it because of it's beauty. Lucy wanted us to take a picture of her and Max in front of the temple 'pretending' to get married. Then she was also excited to take a picture of Tyler and I holding hands. I think she did a great job. Here is a picture of our shadow family. We're always competing with them. They're either right on our tails, or just a few steps in front of us ALL the time. The problem with staying in a hotel on vacation is a lack of food, so unfortunately we had to go out for dinner on the Sabbath. Across the freeway from the temple is a restaurant called Islands, which I have been to before and boasted to Tyler that they had the best burgers I had ever tasted. We decided to stop and see if my memory was as good as I thought. The whole restaurant is decorated like a large Tiki hut, which the kids really enjoyed. I had the Hawaiian burger which comes with teriyaki sauce and grilled pineapple slices (the same burger I got last time I was there) and it was even better than I remembered it. Tyler got a similar burger, only with chicken, and he really enjoyed it as well. We've decided to go back. As we walked back to the car, I told my kids that this was the best mother's day ever. Warm weather, San Diego Temple, and a delicious hamburger...I felt pretty spoilt.
Also a note to my moms...we miss you and love you a lot. I hope you have a fabulous Mother's Day too.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

So fun to hear all about your amazing experiences. Thanks for keeping us posted. Love the pictures and hearing how "magical" it has all been. Also love the pictures of the Temple.

We had a great Mother's Day here. The guys cooked us up a feast.

Erica said...

That sounds like a great Mother's day to me too! What wonderful memories you're creating. Loved the pictures. Now i want a burger....