Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shave and a Haircut

Max has been having a bit of a hard time lately. It seems like we've been reverting back to the tantrum of twos. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it's got me a bit frustrated, and unsure of what to do to correct it. A lot of angry screaming and stomping of feet if he doesn't get his way. And there is no build up, it's straight from calm to melt-down with little or no warning. I've been unsure if it was because he's just extra tired or bored from being sick for so long, or if he's having a hard time with the attention Lucy has been getting because of her cast, and that Logan gets because he's a baby, or if he is struggling with how busy we all are lately. I'm jut not sure.
So this morning I thought I'd devote a little extra time to Max to see if that helped. After his breakfast, I wanted to give him a haircut, but to make it more fun, I let him help me choose the guards to use on the razor, as well as breaking out the Transformer's Shaving kit he got for Christmas. He got to put some shaving cream on his face and then 'shave' it off with his plastic razor.He quite enjoyed it and loved his smooth skin after hew as done. The kit came with cream, a razor, a mirror, a comb and one of those barber brushes that gets rid of all the hair after you're done. So we brushed his body off, shaved, and I let him style his hair with his comb when we were all done. It meant Logan got to bed for his morning nap, but I tried to be stress-free and just give Max time. It worked out good for both of us, because I was getting a little tired of the Mohawk hairstyle he had been sporting lately anyway. Look how handsome . (The only way I can get him to do a good smile for a photo is if I get him to tell me a joke. Usually a knock-knock one. Otherwise he's got some sort of weird robot smile.) Once Logan was asleep, we spent time doing puzzles, one of Max's favorite activities, and playing cards.
The day has still been full of melt-downs and tantrums, but I'm determined to not give up and see this through. Tonight is going to be a quiet evening at home where hopefully both parents can give their kids undivided attention for a bit and we can all get to bed on time. I'm sure if we just keep moving in the right direction, things will return back to normal...I hope!

No comments: