Friday, December 25, 2009

We Wish You A Merry Christmas

Without going into great detail about EVERY single present the kids received, here are the highlights of our morning (as far as materialistic things go):
I woke up this morning at about 8:30am, because my body just doesn't let me lay down any longer than that. Tyler and I chatted for a few minutes and then we decided we would get the kids up. Lucy beat us to the punch and met us in the hallway as we were getting the last few things sorted. We all headed into Max's room for a wake-up call, which he was not ready for. He insisted we leave a number of times and all the talk of Santa and presents could not entice him. Finally, he spent a few minutes cuddling in mom and dad's bed, and then having a heart-to-heart with his dad, and he was ready to go. I headed down the hallway first so I could get a picture of the kid's reaction to our tree and presents. The most obvious was of course Max's new train table, which was too big to wrap and takes up most of the living room. Any thoughts of being sleepy quickly fled out of Max's mind and he got straight to work playing with this awesome toy. It should be a fun thing to have for both of the kids, so we're pretty pleased with the purchase. He was as thrilled with it as we hoped he would be. We opened stockings first and the kids were amazed at how well Santa knew them. Funny how that works.
As we were opening presents, we insisted the kids share an apple with their dad, just to get a few bites of nutrition into them, before they got too hungry and grumpy to enjoy their morning...and also before all the treats and snacks that were inevitable.
Lucy's gifts: A baby doll from Santa; full-length mirror, make-up brushes and make-up case from mom and dad; easy bake oven with mixes and decorating pen from mom and dad; puzzles, coloring books, backyardigans dvd, crayons, and nail stickers from santa; 2-ponies and some kitty cat toys from Max. The best was when she opened her make-up brushes and was instantly smiling and saying: "This is exactly what I wanted!"
Max's gifts: train table from mom and dad; basketball net, puzzles, coloring books, backyardigans dvd, and crayons from Santa; Bumblebee Powerbot and mini-jenga from Lucy. He was absolutely thrilled with the Bumblebee toy and that made Lucy pretty proud to be the giver of such a great gift.Tyler got me (along with the kids) a new scarf and mitten set (which he not-so-secretly covets), a bathrobe, make-up brushes and chap-stick (from Lucy), and best of all...a new camera. This was is small and sleek and quick and I love it! I told Tyler that I feel like I can get the picture that I really want with this camera, instead of the picture 5 seconds after the one that I want. It's awesome.Tyler got scarf and mittens (so he'll stop borrowing mine...except now I have new ones that he wants too), sweaters, a pocket square (that Lucy VERY specifically searched 2 malls to find for her dad), transformer cufflinks from Max and a new wedding ring from me - a wood one, so it doesn't bother his finger, and I get a husband who wears a wedding ring! So kind of a gift for me too.
We started opening gifts around 9:30 and finished just before 11:00am. Grandma and Papa and everyone at 'the big house' were waiting, sort of patiently, for us to come up as they had nearly as equal of a loot to pass on to the kids as we did. We quickly changed and headed up there for more of the same. Stories for another post.
It was pretty awesome to sit with our kids and take it slow, while they savored presents and the experience of giving and receiving. This Christmas has had a lot of build up to it, as Lucy is at the age to really start to understand. They have helped Tyler and I shop and have been really excited about being in on a lot of secrets, so this morning they enjoyed the fulfillment of all their hard work.I loved every moment.

No comments: