Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Brave Girl

Today was Lucy's first day of Pre-School. We have been building up to this moment for a few months now, since we registered her in June. Most of the build up has been in my own mind and heart as I prepared to see my tiny baby redhead go off to school and start doing things without me. I don't share these feelings with her very often, because her timid attitude leans towards staying at home with mom anyway, and I don't want to discourage her adventures. We've done tons of fun things this summer as a way to make me secretly feel better about the change that was coming. Lucy has been very excited about the prospect of school, as her aunties are still students and she wants to be just like them. She also enjoys shopping when it comes to buying new things for her, so this whole back-to-school shopping idea has been a hit. And I don't mind it too much either. She had a priesthood blessing from Dad this morning and spent much of Monday getting her backpack and things together and talking to me about the importance of the priesthood blessings and what she could be doing to prepare. We chose a perfect first day of school snack and picked out the perfect outfit to wear. These included a purple skirt and shirt, stockings and new shoes. Oh, and the snack was a juice box, babybel and sugar snap peas. Maybe not perfect to all, but it was to her. When we went back to school shopping I expected to have a very big wardrobe of pink items, since this is her reigning favorite color, but she surprised me by selecting a lot of purple items this time. I repeatedly asked her if she was sure, and she reassured me she was. "Purple is your favorite color mom." Not sure if that was the motivation, or if she was just reminding me that I liked it, so why was I questioning her judgement? This is one of the first times she made a lot of input into what was bought for her. And she also tried her wiles and convincing me to buy a lot of non-essentials...we walked away with only one, a new purse.Anyway, we headed to school for 12:30pm on Tuesday afternoon. It's a bit of change to our schedule so it's taken some figuring, but it'll work. There was a lot of excitement building up, and then some tears when we finally arrived. Max and I stayed with her to ease the transition for about 20 minutes and then had to peal ourselves away (literally). We were back in 2 hours to pick her up and the change in emotion was evident. She was all smiles and giggles and proceeded to tell me all about her great time at school. It was great to see the change, and I look forward to more smiles and less tears throughout the next 13 years. I can't believe we've started this!

No comments: